Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new and rare

After running Mecha Sombra at a few events, I'm really pleased I've managed to settle into the robot combat crowd. But I have a feeling that I now want to try something new. As much as I love my current bot, I want to do something more complex, not just as a challenge for myself but as a treat for audiences too.
    I decided I wanted to make something which would be both entertaining to watch and unique, that needn't necessarily be hugely damaging. So after weeks of brainstorming, sketching and scouring the net for available components, I've decided to make a type of machine hardly ever seen nowadays; A walkerbot.

What I have in mind is something of a lightweight cross between Anarchy and Killertron. A well protected chain-driven leg system to drive it, and a counterweighted 180 degree motor-driven axe for a weapon.
    I'm not necessarily worried about having a destructive or fast machine, just one that can hold it's own in non-spinner events (which are the only ones I attend at this point) without being utterly destroyed. All more fun for people watching!

Have decided on 2 x 350w scooter motors for the drive. They're powerful, easy to mount and compatible with technobots sprocket and chain systems. And although quite heavy, I can use them thanks to the extra weight allowance.

Concept art for the external design below. The idea behind the 2 large 'fins' on the top is to absorb impacts and to help the bot roll when self-righting. (sorry for the low quality image, I don't have any fancy art apps)
    Robot1.png

Danny, just re-read your first post. You're planning on using the Anarchy method of walking, yeah? If so, you won't have any extra weight allowance, that mechanism no longer fulfills the walker criteria.

"2.2 Legged Robots [Walkers] can weigh up to twice the specified weight in all classes. A walker must employ moveable legs to support its weight. Each leg must have at least 2 degrees of freedom. Robots with rolling or sliding mechanisms will not be classified as walkers."

What I planned was to have the legs 180 degrees out of phase with each other so that they met at the halfway point without the bodywork ever touching the ground. I'd always have 4 legs supporting the entire weight, I was only referring to Anarchy in terms of the way the legs move. Does it still not count?

2 degrees of freedom is two separate axis. up/down, forwards/backwards.

Oh, I see. I thought it meant 2 degrees as in the angle, I thought that seemed strange. So do the axis have to be independently controllable for it to count?

Yes, you need to be able to control each axis on each leg separately OR they muct be mechanically independent. I think the latter is a better way of saying it as most walking machines, like hexapods, have their movements pre-programmed and you can edit them mid fight, but if you needed or wanted to you could make each servo move separately, where as a cam/mechanically linked system is fixed and can only do 1 movement.

Ok, as it stands I have 2 options:
    1. Try to create a much more complex walker than I intended, or
    2. Simplify and reduce this design to bring it within the standard weight limit.

Personally, I'd prefer to take the second option. Like I originally said, I'm prepared to sacrifice some performance for entertainment's sake.

I think you will find that Anarchy does comply! This rule was present when Anarchy competed and was accepted by Mentorn who brought the rule in to remove robots like Drillzilla. Each leg is driven by two axis , one drive the leg up and down and the other forwards and back, OK this could be argued to be 1 DOF, depending on how picky you want to be. But each leg also had independent suspension allowing the leg to slide vertically to allow for floor, adding another DOF, that independent.
    I believe the rules are very vague and open to interpretation, that said I don't think I will be bringing Anarchy back.

More likely something along the lines of the all the other slightly boring boxes, flippers and spinners. It hardly seems worth the effort of trying to make something different! But then that's possibly why Robot wars is no longer on TV!

Mike.

Team 101
    Coming back soon!
    Last edited by Team-101; 11th May 2015 at 14:14.

Under the current rules this is a shuffle bot!
    Total number of parts in the mechanism is unknown but exceeds 700.

best of luck with the project guys, looking forward to not being the only one with a walker at events.

Register To Comment