Register To Comment
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Pasty Build Diary: Loki

Been a while since I updated this so here's some photos of how Loki currently looks. Nearly finished now, very pleased with how it's gone and very excited for the champs

still needs to be welded, being held together with tape at the moment!

That looks awesome, i especially love the shape of the sides

Very solid looking machine! What armour are you using, steel? I bet that's going to be a tough one to get through!
    Again, I like the shape too, something pretty different

Thanks guys

I wish I had the weight for steel, it's 3mm aluminium, probably not adequate but I have weight and money restrictions lol.

Should make an interesting fight with a spinner

I see... what's your chassis made of? Perhaps you could find some thicker scrap metal or something for the front? If you can drive it well, the only part that'll be in contact with the spinners is the front, and being a lifter you'll probably want to control it as best as you can. You could always look at putting some HDPE or something behind the aluminium to reinforce it a little! It should stand up to damage enough, I think (especially with it being angled) but a little reinforcement will probably help too in a worst-case scenario! Of course, if you've already done that then ignore me!

I'l probably just look at countersinking your bolts/screws a little bit more if you're worried, a bit less for the spinners to grab onto!

you might want to put some material over the motor as i saw what little hitter did to someone actuator which was in a similar place

I concurr with plargen... little hitter can put a nice enough dent in 3mm hardened steel, so I'd get something in there... maybe some 20mm hdpe as consumable armor?

Looking good though!

I hate to be the one to say it, because it's a great little machine, but for the FW champs, 3 mm aluminium is going to get torn apart! I hope you have something substantial underneath?

I believe there is 15mm+ HDPE behind? And multiple bulkheads back and forth. The armour panels will likely get pretty torn up but the underlying structure should last well. If you don't mind me posting, Chris: https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...54003891_o.jpg

Chunky!

Also, 8mm HDPE is a little lighter than 3mm alu, and in certain situations would likely hold up a lot better. It'll get mashed and gashed but it'll do a good job of protecting if mounted well. The counter intuitive thing with thin metals in full combat is that they're actually less suitable than less dense (but thicker) material. 3mm alu (or even 3mm steel in truth) will bend and be pierced and stay that way, whereas something like 8mm HDPE will just bounce back, so it lasts longer.

Either way, this is a brilliant step up from the first incarnation of Loki. Look forward to seeing it.

Register To Comment