Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motors/wheels

ok ive got a couple of the 24v reliance motors, which i got from Roger Plant a while back

i was thinking of using them to run a 4wd system using 8 wheels in pairs (maybe 12 in sets of 3) with a 3-1 , 4 -1 or 5-1 reduction

3-1 should give 14mph ish
    4-1 11mph ish
    5-1 9mph ish

does anyone think it will be a powerful enough drive for a heavy weight

hopfully if its ok then i should be able to make the robot quite small and compact which means i can put the weight in to the armour and weapons might go for weapons pods and make a few

any power info? I don't have those motors, but also interested in what constitutes a decent HW motor. I'm guessing from a different thread I was reading yesterday that 5-6kw total would get you into the "serious power" category, which I suspect you need with 8-12 wheel drive.

Does anyone use starter-motors? That would be my natural inclination at around 2kw each, but nobody has mentioned them that I can see, so I'm assuming there's a downside.

starter motors draw too much current to be of any use

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    starter motors draw too much current to be of any use
    Ah, hence you can't stick your car in-gear and turn on the ignition for more than a few seconds.

​Tah (again!)
    Last edited by Bacon Wizard; 3rd May 2013 at 19:18.

and starter motors aren't designed to go in reverse. Only one I know of that run starter motors was Sumpthing that had 2 per side, one for each direction if I remember correctly.

Theres no point in going 6-8 wheel drive unless your running LEMs or Eteks. Having that many wheels will be very inefficient and I don't see what your going to gain.

dreadnought and a few other early robots used starter motors

and i was only thinking of using 8 wheels in a 4wd config 2 stuck together as their thin

Project One used a Ford Fiesta starter motor @24V, completely rebuild for reverse -done with an Albricht SW88 24V B and a Sevcon SL1 speedo. That motor went into Scarab as pump motor.

Team RCC with Blackdevil Warzone had a machine with 3 startermotors in it. 2 for drive, 1 for the weapon, and those 3 together drained a 12V 45 Ah SLA completely in a fight.

The main problem with series wound motors is that they are very inefficient especialy compared to the modern PMDC motors.
    If you're very lucky, you have an efficiency of 60%, when a Bosch 750 does 75% easely.

might think about selling them since you cant get spares anymore, im guessing roger plant doesn't sell them anymore

Register To Comment