Register To Comment
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Skipdiving Robotics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Status
    Name
    David
    After the departure of my Dad (and also a lot of the mechanical expertise and cash) I've been left to either jack it in or start afresh. I wanted to draw a line under the last 6 months and start my own thread, with my own robots under my own team name. All of my robots will get built from found parts, hence the team name lol.

Geoff is the first robot that I dreamt up with no other outside influences and I've stuck some pictures up below.

I also want to plan a heavyweight, but not in the usual veins of robot design, I'd rather all my stuff was that bit different and unique. Weird forms of locomotion and unusual weapons are the types of things I'll be aiming for. The below sketch is the beginnings of a snake type robot that will slither round the arena and entangle people. I'm just in the process of sketching out the locomotion and a mechanical jaw to bite other robots. I'll update this as I thrash out how it will look and as a add more to Geoff, although now I'm going it alone things are moving dramatically faster as I can work straight out of my head.

Status
    Name
    David
    The first basic chassis I've ever scratch built is together!!! Looks really rough...and it is!...but I made it myself lol and am proud of my first steps into getting battered

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daveimi; 9th April 2013 at 12:11.

Status
    Name
    David
    And then cut flush to fit into the wheel.

Status
    Name
    David
    It has wheels and a front and rear skid!!

All of the electrics gradually coming together. Still need to sort out radio gear, link, LED and cablings. And some brackets to hold everything.

Status
    Name
    Jasper Aykroyd
    Robots
    In Progress
    I think this is fantastic way to go about it

Status
    Name
    David
    Lol Thanx! My first fan! I will have to get "Team Skipdiving Robotics Crew" T-shirts made up and start posting them to my fans! Lol j/k

Status
    Robots
    Bw- planning Aw-building Fw-almost finished
    I have to say it looks good and it been built reasonably fast but you seem pretty chilled about getring it done haha i have tried to rush mine and its taken 1 year and 1/2. I am sure tou have probably said this but are tou going to add a weapon and if so what weapon?

Status
    Name
    David
    Haha yeah I'm not really the most rushed of people. Originally I was part of a small team that got bored and left me to it lol so I'm having to learn how to make everything as I go. I started 2013 afresh with a 12 month deadline to get a robot running and ready to compete in 2014. I've not been able to get over how expensive it is! Hence building from scrap parts.

Originally the wheel was going to be a rammer with some spikes and a roll over bar. But I've been developing a Wiper-Motor powered hammer that is powerful enough to roll the 'bot back onto it's wheels if turned over. It's taking a while to get it running right so it's a bit touch and go with the hammer idea.

I'm definitely open to weapon suggestions if you have any or would like to see something specific on the robot!

Status
    Name
    Jasper Aykroyd
    Robots
    In Progress
    What's the white plastic board? It looks a bit like chopping-board (polyethylene)

Status
    Robots
    Dantomkia (HW), Bullfrog (HW), Slam (FW - Design phase), Stop (FW- Currently building) + BW and AW
    I'm loving the innovation here! But don't give yourself a year to build it, its all about getting it started 2 weeks before an event and done the night before

Register To Comment