Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinners at Robot Wars/ Roaming Robots and Robots Live

just a thought, could your disk be used and limited to 499 rpm so its not fast enough to be classed as a spinner

if so then could it inflict any damage at that low speed

From what I understand, a spinner has to breach 2 of 3 regulations the count as a spinner:
    Exceeding 20% of the robots weight
    Exceeding 500rpm
    Exceeding 24 (might be cm, can't remember) in diameter.
    Gary's disc would breach at least 2 as it stands (if its the disc I'm thinking of) even if he did turn the speed down.

And the rule which is more important than all.

An EO has the final say what goes in his arena ! :-)

ATM I don't think either HR spinner exceeds 500rpm or 20% of its weight (although considering Goliath's size it would have to be massive to be anywhere close to 20%.). I know its the EO's arena, but since Jonno is on here, would you allow spinners that breached the speed restriction but not the other 2? The speed is the big factor to me, and I was curious as to what we can get away with .

As I said before, currently I wouldn't allow spinners at all.
    At one point if you remember I wanted to bring them back, we did a test with smidsy.

Too much going on with the rebrand, there is an avenue to get them back safely .. But I don't have time to deal with it at the moment.

Maybe in the summer when things quieten down we can explore it.
    It would take a couple of people with some very well built machines to start exploring it.

It still comes down to whether the EOs are prepared to take the risk at the end of the day, and that's not just related to whether it adheres to those 2-out-of-3 regulations, but also to the build quality and integrity of the weapon. I would normally be gently poking and prodding about the possibility of running low-KE spinners at events but I'm looking at it more now from an EO perspective due to the Scot-Bots stuff.

A team such as Big Nipper could make a nice low-KE spinner satisfying those regulations and, as roboteers, we know due to the quality of their engineering it would be fine. At the same time, a rookie team could come in and also make a nice low-KE spinner meeting the regs but the build quality and integrity is more of an unknown as they're new. Either way, the EO can't be 100% sure of the safety of both teams' weapons so unless the arena can contain any potential failures, it's too much of a risk to let them run. If they did, and something happened, it cold potentially invalidate the event grading and, in turn, invalidate any chance they have of their public liability insurance covering costs.

EDIT: What John said :P

Ah yeah I remember the smidsy test.
    Fair enough, good to know, thanks for the answer

The rpm, mass and diameter was to make eos aware of potentially very dangerous spinners not what defines a spinner! It would be a bold person to suggest any spinner can be run in a netted roof. It worrys me seeing some flippers in net roof as they could easily send bolts through it.

Yes it is down to the EO what runs in their arena but that ldoesnt change what is safe and what is not. It just means if something does go wrong, and its likely it would as it has in the past, the EO would have a lot of explaining to do as its well known not to be safe.

Jonno what about if ripper was given immunity from the disc :-D

Register To Comment