Register To Comment

Thread: The pilot of Robot Combat League is available online

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi all!

If anybody is interested, Syfy put the pilot episode of Robot Combat League up on their website - it's the one with the robot boxing. I can watch it over in Canada, so hopefully the same is true in the UK. The link is
    http://www.syfy.com/videos/Robot%20C...ue/vid:2626626

It's interesting...when it comes to the basic feel of the show, it leans much more towards the boxing side than the robotics side. The robots are quite intriguing, though - to get around the problem of humanoid robots having to deliver blows strong enough to damage each other without knocking themselves over in the process, the robots are not freestanding. They have a sort of support column (if that's the right term) sticking out of the back at an angle and running to the floor.

Anyway, the show did seem to do more right than it did wrong in its pilot episode - I'd love to see what the roboteers here think about it (as opposed to a mere fan like me... :-) )

Best regards to all,

Robert Marks

Well, I just finished watching the most recent episode here in Canada, and I have a rant...

Okay, so we've finished up the quarter-finals, and we're getting ready for the semi-finals, and yet again, the producers decide to edit the episode in such a way that it runs the closing credits at the very beginning of the first semi-final fight. What the devil were they thinking?

In all seriousness, have they never seen Robot Wars? This isn't rocket science - it's basic presentation, which Robot Wars got very, VERY right. The show may have been a game show instead of a tournament, but it was presented on air as a tournament. You had the opening heats, the semi-finals, and the finals. Each one got their own episode(s) in such a way that it felt as though you had picked up a ticket to a Robot Wars event, and you had seen the thing play out. It felt natural.

This is the second time that Robot Combat League has tossed this out in favour of apparently filling up space with whatever they've got. So, you've got five minutes left in the show, and the host is talking about what's coming up in "tonight's battles." And then, of course, the closing credits roll. Why in heaven's name wasn't this put off until the next episode, when it would feel right? Or perhaps turned into an extended preview for the next episode? Both of those would have worked just fine.

But instead, they pull this...again. Do they have any idea of how incompetent this sort of thing appears? It's frustrating because this show really does do a great job on just about every other level - and then it botches it on basic episode structure.

Good grief.

Have been watching this 1st time I saw it I didn't realise the complex hydraulics involved. There is a huge pump for the hydraulic supply aswell , I wonder if we evolve into this like USA have ? How could we get to events with such heavy machines but I'm not sure if the roboteers build them it looks like 1 man builds them for everyone, he seems to remind me of Ian watts :-D

Register To Comment