Register To Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Build Rules and Competition Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by blazerbotics
    Actually its the other way around, there aren't many heavies made from plastics!
    I can't see much getting through 20mm of hdpe but I have seen axes get through the thin sheet metal used on heavies.

Although in a heavy the batteries are likely to be further away from the walls of the bot so a weapon could never get to them. Would this rule still apply if the batteries were in the centre of the bot?

All looks fine to me. Think I'll weld an extra bit of steel to Drumroll's baseplate where the lipo is though, just to make sure I won't fall foul of the rules.

The only minor quibble I'd say is regarding the wording of rule 11.2:

Rotational weapons exceeding any TWO of the three limits below must be submitted for review and be preapproved by the event organiser.
    Obviously the majority of featherweight spinners exceed two of the three limits, but I remember the last time I queried this, I seem to recall someone saying that exceeding the limits was only an issue if you were running a 'spinner' (more akin to a rotary flipper) in a Class 3 arena or less. While that makes sense to me, is it worth adjusting the wording of the rule to clarify this? Just in case any new people coming along that are building spinners for full combat events are worried that they have to stick within these limits to be legal.

I can't see much getting through 20mm of hdpe but I have seen axes get through the thin sheet metal used on heavies.
    Not sure what the thin sheet metal is... Problem is with plastic, is a Lipo pack on fire will soon start melting it way through, this is one of the main reasons for the ruling.

I am surprised that there has been no open and democratic discussion with the community at one of the events.

There are some major changes that should have been discussed with the entire community. I also suspect that the unprovoked change to 10 seconds for immobilisation is another way to change the pit rules when opinion and the vote went against it.

Where is the 30 second no-attack immobilisation rule in the 2013 regulations?

This is a consultation period. If there are rules in there that the majority don't agree with, now is the time to make your voices heard!

As sensible as it seems to discuss major changes with the community, the large difference in opinions and the fact we often end discussing side issues as well means that it would take a long time to get anywhere near an accepted wording to incorporate into the rules.

Formulating potential rules and their wording with a few people and then putting it up for consultation (where changes can still be influenced) would seem to be a much more practical approach.

The Li-Po securing rule is rather vague.... Plus is it really an issue in the RC arena?

Gents at the end of day it is your lipo pack. If you want to secure it using the bare minimum then by all means go ahead but if it goes up in flames it's likely to take the lipo pack, any speed controllers you have along with motors inside oh and the receiver for good measure. It's in everyones best interests to ensure your lipo is well secured. This is why I secure mine in a custom metal box inside the chassis. I wouldn't recommend cable ties.

Thanks for the clarification on the voltage rule Kane. I don't see an issue with going to 12s lipo.

Register To Comment