Register To Comment

Thread: Banebot Hex Hub Issues

I recently bought a couple of these as an 'easy' way to fix my Banebot wheels to my 4mm MFA motor shaft:

http://www.technobotsonline.com/banebot ... -bore.html

Except I found the grubscrew fixing winds down a small amount and then begins to spin (how is that even possible!?) before it protrudes into the shaft. So no matter how much I do it up I never get enough purchase on the shaft and the wheel falls off.

Anyone else experienced this? Suggested solutions? Considered re-tapping the thread but it appears to be imperial, anyone know which?

Cheers!

The same thing happened to me in the end I tapped out the holes 4mm and fitted new grub screws.

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/fraf...p?f=240&t=5483

Hhhmm, I'll get onto Technobots about this. The hubs aren't exactly cheap, plus now I'll have to buy some 4mm Grub screws (and possible a Tap, not sure I have 4mm.)

Probably just the threads stripping out. Usually from over-tightening, although if they behaved like that out-of-the-bag then I'd see about a replacement/refund. Pretty sure a couple of mine have done that but I did tighten them a lot.

Easiest fix, as mentioned, is just to drill the holes out to a larger diameter and re-tap. May cost a bit to buy the tap and grub screws, but will probably be longer lasting.

Yeah you cross threaded it lol. Also make sure that you either put a flat on your shaft or dimple it so the grub screws are flush with the hub, so your wheel slides on nicely.

No cross-threading or over tightening, I just put the grub in the hub to cheack the thread and found it just span when it got near to protruding. Tried putting it on the shaft and there's just not enough purchase to hold the wheel reliably.
    Bought some threadlock, figured that's the easiest semi-permanent solution.

Yeh there's a flat on the shaft, don't worry.

I'm sure I didn't cross thread anything, the screws didn't give purchase on both hubs. I'm sure this is a manufacturing problem, the hubs are not cheap and would expect the manufacturer Banebot to check these type of things better. Either that or change their name to Painbot.

Sorry to dig up and old thread but I have also come across this, but I've come to the conclusion that because these Banebot wheels are american made, so are the grub screws, ergo, they're an imperial size. I can just about get the grub screw down and as soon as it hits any resistance the allen key just spins in the grub screw. I have no allen key that is the right size, always a little too big or a little too small.

just get some cheap imperial 1s from a pound shop

I wouldn't rely on the grub to hold it. file a flat on the motor shaft and use a key in the keyway

Register To Comment