Register To Comment
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

OK I will probably finish talking about the initial robot build for Gabriel with these pictures.

As you can see the speed controller (the Wotty) is mounted between the motors and has a large heat sink fitted to it as in these robots the speed controller can get quite warm! the position of this component is important I wanted it to be within the minimum inertially stressed place when as it were "The hammer falls."
    you can see strapped to the motor assemblies the boxes that I was going to use for the batteries, in the end I considered this part of the robot to have too much inertial loads for fragile LiPo batteries, the final position was changed.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

cutting the plastic for the top and bottom armour was harder than I thought as it had to be quite accurate to fit the front armour.

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

these are for my next project

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg
    Last edited by craig_colliass; 19th April 2014 at 09:40.

What is your next project?

You are not allowed to join the pneumatic darkside Craig, I will not allow it

Dark indeed Craig!!

I think I should do something pneumatic just to show I can, but it will have the Team Saint touch !
    (by that I mean it will be fiendishly clever, with ideas no one would want to use, or no one will understand why I bothered. and it won't win!)

I have a feather (that won't win either ) I was going to finish as well I don't know what to do first!

I'm hoping this is some kind of walking monstrosity if not you're not going to like what I'm leave in your tool box at the next event

Craig

A walker!!

"You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment"

The conversation whent something like this.

Me "Now Zack don't go on the floor flipper as the gearboxes are weak and may break"
    Zack "OK dad don't keep pestering me about it"
    Me "Zack why is Seraph just going round in circles?"
    Zack "I don't know dad"

IMG_0507.jpg

Thanks to mike I now have some Zack proof gearboxes to replace the old ones, so Seraph will be back to do it's thing, till the next time Zack finds the weak spot.

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

The Burgess Hill event

Thanks to Alan and all the Robots Live team for a great weekend.

The robots

Gabriel didn't shine much, the first fight it broke one of the drive motors and that was it's weekend! After taking the motor apart, it looks like the armature is damaged and has lost power I will have to get this fixed, also the drive on the other wheel has tightened up again! I will be looking at this problem too.
    I have decided to replace both motors for new units this way I have a firm base to develop the transmission and ensure reliability. the old motors will get re wound in the future.

Saint went well had to tighten up a few bolts through the weekend, but it just kept going, I am going to do some maintenance on it. So far I have taken one drive out and striped it down. When it was built the stub axle was going to be welded to the main plate I suppose I will have to do that also the drive bearing on the transition shaft fails regularly so modifications to this is also in the pipeline.

Cherub as bad as it was last event, it was good this event, it was runner up! that's the best result Team Saint has had. no work really required here! I will just take off the lids and give a few bolts the spanner treatment.

Feathers Tron worked faultlessly shame about my driving.
    Seraph one of the "new gearboxes" seized up I think it couldn't take the excitement, I will be taking that apart and reporting on the Team Saint build thread shortly. Haven't looked at Seraph will try to get it going for the next event if I can

Kettle Bot Worked fine hope to sort out the steam function soon.
    will keep you up dated on that.

Craig

Register To Comment