Register To Comment
Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

Just a quick run down on how the robots did at Colchester

But firstly a big thanks to John and all the Robot Wars team for 3 great shows. Looking forward to the next one.

Spiderbot this machine has proved to be quite reliable and didn't miss a beat or a step, the crowed loved it.

Kettlebot ran faultlessly and was a joy to drive.

Tron this robot suffers from a bad driver (me!) in the end I just drove it on the floor flipper because I like to see it fly! the last time it busted a drive motor so that was the end of that the new LiPo batteries are working wonderfully.

Cherub this robot was a complete disappointment for us, as it didn't work properly all weekend, we tried everything to get the lift motor to work but no luck. We have decided to replace the speed controller and radio for the lifter and start again. If you replace the handle and the head you know you fixed the broom!!

Gabriel we decided to get the new robot ready for this event, and carefully test it to see if it would be OK. the robot worked very well I had a drive between shows and I could almost drive it were I wanted it to go!! the handling on this machine is so much better than Saint ever was. also the more powerful motors made the drive so much more responsive it works like a heavyweight Seraph. exactly what I was hoping for.

There were a few problems the major one being the drive on one side was binding somewhere, at the time I thought it was the bearings binding I was concerned some dirt had got on to the bearing tracks on the gearbox. but it turned out to be the motor pinion was tight in one place this has been adjusted and is running much better. A few nuts shaking loose that will need to be looked at but the Wotty didn't break into a sweat and the batteries performed better than expected.

Modifications to the robot I hope to loose a bit of weight on the robot as I expect it to be a little over weight, and adjusting the drive ratio to increase the top speed a little.

all in all a mixed bag for the robots but I hope Gabriel may be one to watch in the future.
    Last edited by craig_colliass; 1st April 2014 at 10:44.

A video of one of the fights with Gabriel at Colchester

I love how its almost as big as major damage!
    Looks quite lightweight though but I guess the middle section is just dense so very heavy.
    It's just a shame that it doesn't seem to damage anything, I preferred it when saint had that massive hammer thing on it.

It's huge!

Still think i won that fight

Gareth
    You did OK but we won on style and about 26 hits also this fight was just a test.
    Max
    The sword has damaged some machines when swung by Saint Eruption for one. The drive/weapon motors amount to about 5,200W of power this is similar to Titan, With the armour these days even Thor has problems damaging some robots. the days of really bad damage are over, until the spinners are let loose but that is not going to happen, so hitters have to go on points. the weight of Gabriel is probably just over 100KG

Some pictures of the build of Gabriel

The chassis is in effect 2 angle strips that separate the motor plates, they in turn hold the stub axles. the ribs are in place the centre ones will carry the load of the sword impact. The outer ones hold the armour front panel on.

2013-12-09 11.44.02.jpg

2013-12-09 11.44.07.jpg

The motors and front armour fitted as a whole the structure is now much stronger the front armour is 6mm thick steel armour. as you can see there is not a lot of room in this robot.

2013-12-22 11.58.12.jpg

2013-12-22 11.58.22.jpg

2014-01-11 11.10.44.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures

Craig

Register To Comment