Register To Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10th to 12th of January 2013 -Mechatrons RoD Dublin, Ireland

Hiya,

Cant sleep.....

Had a bit of thought about this, and a few things to consider. Not being negative, been here before with logistics of moving teams around thats all and its not that simple.

We get a ferry paid, and on average the £100 expenses, so those figures are correct.
    Its easy, we get in the car and drive to the ferry play robots come home again.

The other option has bits missing.

Does anyone own a large van and trailer we can use? Someone must have one?? And dont underestimate how much space it takes, when you consider 8 teams would generally each have a car fully loaded, on average most teams take 2 heavies, ( we take 3 ) thats a lot of space and weight to consider. So you are talking potentially 20 heavies, plus boxers, plus mechanoids and everyones tools and spares.

If not we have to hire one, Say £80 a day inc trailer for 7 days = £560 And thats cheap for the size of van we'd need.

That van has to collect all the robots, that€™s 1 persons job a whole day collecting, and a day delivering back, and all the logistics of doing that. Someone has to do that.

Cost of diesel for that 2 x £150 = £300

Or everyone has to deliver their robots to the van in a central place. Again logistics, time, and cost for everyone.

If we fly, those flights are from London Airports im assuming, so we have to travel down there, again cost to do this, and when we get there we have to pay to park the car for 5 days.

Is the flight one of those cheapo flights with no luggage allowance? Something to consider, I don€™t fly very often so not sure.

So I totalled it as:

Fuel and ferry £540
    Van hire £560
    Deisel pickup / delivery £300
    Flights x 8 x £107 = £856
    Car parking 8 x 20?? = £160
    Expenses allowance £50? = £400

Total for 8 teams = £2816 + a logistical nightmare + probably costs more personally to each team due to not getting as much expenses covered.

More thoughts, and possibly a volunteer with a large van and trailer .

John
    http://www.RoamingRobots.co.uk

Just like to clear up a few things here.

First off we don't have the same teams every year. There are a few who come over every year but that is because of number/type of machine that they bring vs cost. We run a different type of show to what most are used to (its only 20 minutes long) so we have certain criteria for the types of robots that we need.

Second off, the organisers are not frustrated that the same old robots turn up every year. This is simply not true and frankly, defamatory. We have never had an event with no new robots. The actual report from the stakeholders at last January's show was fully positive, and I quote the end line, you've upped your game again this year. Furthermore, we have a full house for every show and have to turn half of the queue away as we don't have the capacity for them. We have been running the event for 13 years and our audience is growing every year so clearly the audience like the selection of robots and the show we put on.

Finally, I do not believe that it is a free trip for anyone. We do our best with very limited funding to get as many robots over as we can. But we don't pay for everything and while our funding helps, I know that every participant is ultimately out of pocket.

With that all said, I do believe that we could bring more over if we could share some space. i.e. if a couple of roboteers had big vans, and a couple had MPVs then all could meet up at Holyhead and vanpool/carpool the rest of the journey. BTW, I don't think flights would be a runner. Without even considering the logistic headache, it would cost more to collect everyone from the airport (on the other side of the city) and then transit to-from accommodation every day.

Also, like I say every year, if you can fund your own trip or get it sponsored, as long as you meet the FRA safety requirements, you are welcome to come over. I know some teams receive good sponsorship and are well able to fund their own way over. We have no problem displaying advertising for your sponsor if it helps you get over as long as it doesn't conflict with our event sponsors.

Either way, we still need the applications to come in so we can start our selection process!

I wasn't being negative.

Just highlighting some things you'd missed off the costings and thought about the practicality of the logistics of organising such a thing. And I only thought about because I was considering to help organise it with you.

In principle the idea of a van sounds like the perfect solution but reality says its not.

Anyway Nobody has come forward with a large van, no one has come forward offering to drive a van either !! There can't be this pool of people wanting to come or it wouldn't just be me and you talking about :-) interesting !!

John
    Www.roamingrobots.co.uk

Be great to have more robots attend.

Lets see if we can get more teams over.

John
    www.roamingrobots.co.uk

I think more machines/teams would be a benefit to the show and to the regular teams that attend. Last year i was really struggling to keep 3 heavies, a Dalek and a Mechanoid running for each show, having a few extra robots there would take the pressure off, plus would add abit more variety to the show. I think it was last year when we had a couple of heavies break down and we were struggling to have enough machines for the shows.

I can understand why it is ran the way it is, it is a very different style of event with limited space and fights. However a few more teams wouldn't go a miss, but i can see why you wouldn't want lots of teams turning up.

Just my thoughts as an EO looking in, but its your event and your free to do it whatever way you think works best.

Register To Comment