Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No toy new robot from mewbe

Well done on your build! Looked great at the champs and stood up to some serious hits. Looking forward to seeing it next year!

Thanks james , had great fun cant wait to play again

Just been doing some video analysis for a start point on the axe speed and therefore power, 13 frames at 30fps from start to ground, thats 0.43 second start point will video 14.8v and 22.2v and do the same fps test.
    simple and basic but is accurate to 1-30th second not bad

Just in the process of basic repairs ready for sunday testing, also designing my team logo,

TEAM NO TOY

OR

NO TOY ROBOTICS

and images etc some are looking quite cool tryed to upload but used powerpoint and file is not accepted

No toy axe test at 22.2v went well, had multipe test surfaces and may hits. axe assembly looked great with no jams or damage just motors building up alot of heat after 6/7 mins of testing should be ok. axe time has fallen from 0.43 to below 0.3 thats 31% decrease in time to impact. looks and sounds lots more damaging. in slowmo no toy picks up at least 100m of the floor when firing the axe its wasting energy but shows the forces involved will require a body redesign to harness that power.

still might try those speed 900s

100m, that's quite a distance

My axe tests have mostly been with the axe unit clamped to my workbench, but I noticed a similar thing when I ran one test without it clamped. Common occurrence with axe weapons. Not sure how well it would work, but maybe having magnets in the base of the machine will help keep it on the deck and reduce the amount of wasted energy, although that would only work for Robo challenge events.

Sounds like a nice improvement in any case though; you able to upload a video of the 22.2V tests?

Sounds really good! What's the length and weight of the axe head?
    Little hitter get around the jumping when hitting other robots by having a slight ramp at the front that gets under the other robot. That keeps the front on the floor and so doesn't waste so much power! Might be worth looking I to doing something similar.

I don't know if it would work but I've just bought some more of these electromagnets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2711813511...84.m1439.l2649

They're the ones to hold fire doors open (rather than ones to keep doors closed which have roughly 1/2 the pull) they'll pull 40kg's at 24V drawing minimal amps (2-3) I was wondering if you could wire it up with the weapon motor such that as soon as you fire the axe the magnet engages sticking the front edge to the floor, then releasing as soon as the axe was down?

Just an idea. Splinter was pants this year but I was really please with how the electromagnets worked, with a little tweaking I think they could be used effectively in a number of machines.

The magnet comes out of the housing and is 50mm dia, about 30mm deep has a large threaded hole in the back (M10 - 12ish) weighs very little and requires nothing more complicated than a 24V supply to generate the magnetism.

Surprisingly powerful beasties these.. I run a small kitchen in a care-home part time, alongside my consultancy. So I experience them most days. Can't budge the door.

Quick poorly edited video of the 22.2v axe test,
    http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/adz600/slideshow/

Register To Comment