Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heavyweight Robot Needed!!

My 2 pennies?

HWs strike me as a pain, due to their size and weight they're difficult to work on, move around, lift and transport. They're also more expensive to build.

Most young people getting into the sport start with AWs, although they strike me as very fiddly (maybe they have smaller hands than me....) and then the good middle ground and popular class is FWs.

Also for me the fun is in building them but nothing wrong with buying one. You could learn a lot from it and have instant fun, but I'd do a little homework first. Although they're 'combat robots' once you start poking around inside they can easily break if you don't know what you're doing.

FWs often come up for sale on the forum, some HWs do and some people will even build one for you.
    I know Mario (Maddox) and his lot build custom parts for bots and often help build other's machines so you could drop him a line.

£500 is a decent budget for a FW (5 times what my team spent on our first!) but most likely not enough for a HW.

You're completely free to do whatever you want, of course, but if I had that budget I'd make a good featherweight (and potentially win some things) instead of a bodged heavyweight.

Matt is selling bulldog breed, but with no experience you could easily have an accident working on pneumatic systems.

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    Matt is selling bulldog breed, but with no experience you could easily have an accident working on pneumatic systems.
    Might be

Depends on what you want and when you want it.

Ranging from electric axes to fp powered crushers. From polycarb showcases to semi indestructable BonX clones

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    That's a point Tony, a hydraulic height adjustable trolley would make it easier for you to work on the heavies
    It would, but the point I meant was that its not essential. Are they not also pretty heavy and bulky? Would struggle to fit them in the car, and before you say it no, i'm not buying a trailer to put it in

Sell a couple heavies and buy a bigger car :P

I've a few offers, so some might have new homes soon. New job last month too, so a new car might be on the agenda next summer, definitely would be something bigger. There might be a few hurdles in the way of that idea though.

Register To Comment