Register To Comment
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Liftoff (FW) build diary

Could you have a low bulkhead between where your pneumatics stop and your flipper arm begins to lie the two forward facing bulkheads together? There must be a way somehow

Will have to find a way to fit it in I guess, there really is not much space as it will have to go round those fittings or the bottles, but I'll find a way, maybe I'll use aluminium or steel instead of hdpe to make it more compact, and then trim holes in it for the bottles and fittings to pass through... should work like that I think - off to the drawing board!

Got the fire extinguisher and went on filling the paintball bottles, but I have a small problem here. The bottles are 12oz ones and the extinguisher is 2kg - I only managed to fill the bottles to 10oz and 9.5oz. Before I filled the bottles I put them in the freezer as I had read somewhere that it should help, but still didn't manage to get 12oz. Is it anything to do with the extinguisher, maybe its too small at 2kg?

Roboteer

1. Fill the bottles to the correct weight. This is stamped on the bottles.
    2. It will be difficult to get a full fill off of a small bottle
    3. Don't worry if they are under filled
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

At 12oz its quite small, so every ounce counts! :wink:

I'm trying to fill it to its correct weight, but I cant... having another try at it - I've placed the bottle with 10oz co2 in it in the freezer, will try to top it up later on,in theory it should work - if not it'll stay as it is.

I connected the whole setup to the co2 tank to give it a couple of test fires and check if the regulator works. I can't manage to get enough pressure tho as it is leaking air from every fitting!! - Bloody thread tape wont work!
    Now I found some threadlock and sealed all the fittings again - hope that works - off for testing!

Done testing and I'm happy but I did get the scare of my life as well!

One of the push fit fittings came apart - I mean literally came apart not just the pipe came off! Dont know if its just a defective part or it cant handle the pressure so until I get confirmation of how much pressure it can handle I'll have to lower the pressure.

I was operating the system at 11bar when the fitting burst, I replaced it with a new one and got it going at 10bar without incident. Will post a video clip tomorrow.

I also manage to fill the co2 bottle up to 12oz - so freezing it worked :wink:

should be fine at 10bar, guess it was just a damaged one.

you're right, it should be good for up to 10bar, but have to say that to burst at 11bar they're designed to the limit!! :shock:
    I had the safety valve set at 11bar, should I consider replacing it with a lower rated one or this was just a freak accident one off type?

I fear if you keep on working along the 10 bar line, you'll see this kind of failure a few more times.

On teflon tread tape. I don't use it anymore in connections I don't have to undo regulary.
    I use 2K glue on those connections. Since I started doing that, leaks are very rare.

That's bad! I've been in contact with the shop where I bought them and I'm told they are rated at 10 bar max, so in theory they should be ok, but for how long I don't know! On a positive note, the lad at the shop told me they have others rated at 15bar so I'm going to get some of those to put my mind at rest.

yeah , thread tape - what a nightmare! specially the swivel push fittings which came with a pre-applied coating of teflon, bloody useless!
    Used locitite 243 on all the leaking fittings and problem solved straight away. Pressurised the system and closed off the supply from the tank with no drop in pressure after 10min. Good enough for me

Register To Comment