Register To Comment
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tormenta 2 - Build Diary

The start-stop nature of robot fighting renders the cooling fans useless, plus we put tape over them! So I wouldn't worry/rely on them.

Most motors will get toastie after 3minutes of action, just let them cool after and take spares!

Yeah, I think take spares is the answer!

I just had another drive test without worrying about making noise in the house and holy $%!@ batman, it's silly. When it weighs 3 times this it'll be more practical. As it is I can barely get it past wheel spin in the length of our living room. And it's scraping on the floor (and scratching our shiny baseplate ). Exciting!

It never got this hot in Tormenta. But, it just occurred to us, I mean we HAVE made improvements to the electronics overall stability and power, but, we live in Spain! We only ever used Tormenta with these batteries in the UK. It's currently 36°C in the shade. Maybe 20°C more than the same components felt in the UK, or thereabouts. Hoping it is largely that - the robot is warm before it even starts!

Also, we tape the motors when we're building, but surely not in combat? What's the point?

Also, we tape the motors when we're building, but surely not in combat? What's the point?
    You kidding me!? The amount of swarf, dust and general crap you'll pick up in the arena/pit area is unbelievable! Keep them taped up.
    Those motors are quite literally magnets for stuff to get stuck in them.

another better alternative imo is maybe to use a mesh/net metal over the fan intakes

kinda meeting the middle, keeping most crap out but letting useful air in, you may aswell use this feature of the motor as it does serve a purpose i have never taped up the intkes and all my motors still work, the weak point in a drill motor imo is the gearbox

I've often thought about using foam or sponge to cover the vents.

i think foam or sponge may be difficult to keep in check obviously the last thing you want is the motor wrapping sponge around its internals

You could use something like this:
    http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Conne ... ape-123492

if youve got the space why not use a rc 550 heatsink on the motors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/540-550-RC-EP ... 2293wt_922

you can even get them with fan attached

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/540-550-RC-EP ... 2153wt_922

Ellis - sorry i meant the 85's - deffo worth the exstra £26 for an esc you can use and not have to worry about IMO...

make sure you try a load test.... i drove 540 around at home outside for 10mins fine, always blew up in the arena though.... strap a 20kg load ontop of it and drive it about in anger, it'll simulate combat conditions a bit better.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Today it reached 38°C in the shade, maybe that had something to do with the overheating.

We may try and bash some old heatsinks we have around the place into circles and make our own. Thanks for the link, though.

Dave, thought so! Sadly we'd need 2, putting the 'extra' at a £52, some £52 over budget!

I'll be contacting the guy(s) behind BotBitz as to whether they think their 25a models would be happy working around their limit. We have blown a 15a fuse with a single normal 12v drill in the past, so on paper they'd be right on their limit. If they say they'll be fine, then we'll probably go for them.

Thanks.

Register To Comment