Register To Comment
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Graupner motors

hi all i would like to know what people think would work best for a high power featherweight
    would 2 speed 900s or 4 speed 600s be better for torque and speed etc
    in theory i suppose the 4 speed 600 will have more power higher current draw and all that
    i also found these http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog ... ts_id=5219
    i thaught speed 500s would be more expensive
    i also intend to build an actuator for the lifter
    would a.wind up car jack be too hard to use as i am not exactly on a gimpson budget.
    thanks

more info
    the design will be inspired by robotwars series 2-3 bot Griffon http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Griffon
    i will also need gear ratio advise and wheels
    will 85amp botbitz be enough?
    thanks in advance

Technobots gears are really quite thick for mod1 and they cost more than the.motors i think ls4 uses speed 600s. Anyone got advise on anything

Gimpson motors, linear actuator. KISS

I would just go with drill motors for your first fw. The gearing will be expensive and the gearbox has to made with a lot of precision. I think a drill motor is equivalent to a speed 500 motor so in theory 4 drill motors are more powerful than 2 speed 900s. I think the botbitz controllers would be fine on 1 speed 900 but possibly not 2 speed 600s.

Or as jonny said go with gimsons if they are in your budget. And yes a car jack would be fine for a linac.

LS4 does use speed 600s but with drill motor gearboxes, it originally used drill motors but we ran out after breaking them with the shocks.

Drill motors work fine and we use them in most featherweights we have built, Max is right if you are unsure then its best to use them first. It can be very difficult to make your own gearboxes work reliabily.

Ok i will save the super 4wd robot for christmas and try a cheapy drill bot
    instead of a car jack i might use m8 threaded rod attatched to a drill and gearbox
    i may use this as a thread for my further qustions invthe future but fornow thanks for.replying

OK
    would 6mm nylon 6 be enough for a gearbox?

We used an M10 rod and having lifted our sofa at least 3 times and been in 10 battles, the thread is good as new. Depends on your ratios I suppose. We could lift a featherweight comfortably.

As for drive, I'd agree that drills are a good starting point. We used (and will use) four 12v cheap drills with 100mm wheels, over-volted to 18v. The result is plenty powerful, and it can do 10mph.

If you go the drill route, I can't help but say, get all metal gears for the gearboxes. We didn't, and this happened: http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i32 ... 012402.jpg

Register To Comment