Register To Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lipo in heavy

Can someone confirm what the current state of play is with lipo batterys in heavies? Why aren't they able to be used when they have been well proven in featherweights to be a stable battery that can take abuse and still not burst into a hot flaming mess?

I ask as I'll be looking to buy batteries for Smidsy in the near future and don't want to waste my money on A123s if I can go ahead and use lipos.

Good point bringing that up Gary. Big Nipper are testing them, but I also remember reading that THz was testing them too, and that must be 2 years since that information was posted, so its probably time to release their findings and update the rules accordingly?

I haven't heard of Big Nipper exploding recently so presumably the tests are going well.

I've been quite vocal in my opinion, and it hasn't really changed.

I'm very uncomfortable with them, considering the environment we work in, a leisure centre, it'll take one HW fire and then we've got issues. A pits full of hw's with lipos is a scarey thought !

The FRA were supposed to be getting a set of lipos to destroy so we could see an actual fire, but it never happened. I've seen videos and they are scary.

I don't know Alans actual view, but I know from what we've spoken about he feels the same!

Maybe he could shed some light on his views.

The other issue I have is the event organisers will have to decide who can and who can't as I wouldn't be comfy with some people using them.

In the couple hundred featherweight fights that have taken place in the past couple years with lipos present there has yet to be any kind of incident and those featherweight fights have been far more intense than anything I've seen from heavies in terms of collision speeds and energy involved.

The power requirements in terms of burst draw current in featherweights is generally far higher too and again, no issues.

I do have concerns. As Jonno said it will only take one incident, and that will be it, they would just get banned on the spot, so anybody running them would be stuffed, and thats best case scenario.

I disagree regarding featherweights being in more extreme conditions.

If they were to come in as a legal source, before attending any event the tema must declare what setup they are using. I can just see people buying cheap ebay packs and throwing them in a heavyweight.

As for the argument that all betteries have a risk, of course they do, but in 10years i haven't seen a single lead acid battery fail in any sort of dangerous way. When NiCads/NiMhs go up, they just smoke and can be got outside quickly. The issue is the LiPos produce a flame, this is a risk to everybody and to equipment/arenas/venues.

As for Big Nipper running the tests, they started at the beginning of the year, and at the end of the year it will be passed to the FRA whether they want to put them in the rules or not. I agreed to them allowing to test the LiPos as they were looking for new batteries and were willing to spend the money on them and run the tests. They are a team that have used Lipos for many years in the featherweights (and in probably the most extreme FWs). Big Nipper is an ideal robot to test them as they have a high power usage (Mag 4/8wd and electric weapon) and if anything did happpen it will be in the most secure robot.

Everything we do is a calculated risk, i think Lipos are one that we don't have to take. I don't see any issues why teams wouldn't want to run A123's they have proved themselves.

I think, I being a risk averse type of person, would agree with Alan and Jonno regarding the introduction of LiPo batteries in heavyweight robots. Even if the FRA approves them the EO's could say No thanks at my events.

From A safety perspective it is all down to control of risk for instance the Big Nipper team can run LiPo batteries in Big Nipper safely because, they are fully trained engineers with high quality equipment using the batteries in a fire proof type custom aluminium case, fitted to a titanium armoured robot! but what about the people from other backgrounds that don't have the knowledge or funds to run them with the same safety considerations. (Don't get me started on the high pressure gas equipment fitted in the robots these days.)

Either people have to be trained to use these potentialy dangerous things safely, or they are should be left to the flying set.

It's a hobby guys, let's not kill anyone!

Stored CO2 is just as dangerous if not more so than a battery fire but I can see I'm hitting my head on a brick wall here trying to get them brought in :|

Does it even matter if the FRA approve them then?

Your not hitting your head against a brick wall at all, we are talking about this.

As event organisors when we go to a venue and we talk about the risks, and go through our risk assesment they think robots are dangerous enough without a pits full of batteries which could go up in flames.

My issue isnt with big nipper using them, or even you using them, its when we get to the stage like we have with fw where it is now a standard to use lipos.
    Then we have increased risks, and potential for people which shouldnt be using them, to be using them, or even people which can use them make a mistake.

How is stored Co2 just as dangerous?

what about li-ions they are lipos with a harder case aren't they?
    as for co2 how many hits from bots like inertia and drumroll could a.fire extinguisher take we all saw raizer blade explode when its gas tank was punctured. it exploded
    little hitter would turn a paintball bottle into a collinder
    I am very inexperienced but I.see.no.reason why a well protected robot with loads of armour andna.fireproof box won't do the job
    sorry for all the full.stops.

Register To Comment