Register To Comment
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lipo in heavy

Everyone know's my views on this, so I won't go into any detail. However as this has been discussed soooooo many times now and it's always comes down to asking to see proof of what happens before anyone can make a decision. It's not been done yet for some reason, so to get that part out of the way I am happy to donate 2 x 6s 5000 packs to be joined together as a single 22.2v 10Ah heavyweight pack to be used and destroyed as you wish.

There is one stipulation. If there's any tests to do with charging them, then it needs to be done using a proper lipo charger as thats what's required at an event.
    Drop me a PM or e-mail if you want to make use of the above - I am happy for these tests to be one at the Robo Challenge day at our workshop when we've set a date.

Roboteer

Hi Grant,

I will speak to you regarding this later.

Thanks

Kane
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

No problem Kane, I know what the result's will be and what tests will cause any issue's - but I think it would be good for Jonno/Alan to see as they have been asking. Atleast it will show a worst case scenario and they can make their own decisions based on that. In all honesty, I would love for some heavies to be using Lipo's and if they are treated correctly there shouldn't be any issues at all. However I do see other people's concerns, and these batteries do need to be treated with respect, as much so as any other battery.
    Regarding fires in the arena, this should 100% not be an issue for any EO. The robot's contain the the heat and even if the battery was out of the robot, the fire and heat that may possibly occur is for such a short amount of time that it wont cause any issues.

I don't want to throw away too many of my batteries but I do have a number that I am willing to sacrifice.

Much appriciated Grant!

I think all HWs should be forced to run with SLAs old skool Robot Wars Style and instead of destroying those rather nice Li-Po packs I will happily take them instead.
    Just trying to help out......

There's more of a safety concern with SLA's due to giving everyone a bad back trying to carry them

SLA's are the way forward!!!!! Or backwards?????

I've got some sla's gets my vote !!

But Rippers already overweight!

All my heavies so far have used SLA batteries, they have proved very reliable durable and cheap! The down side is they weigh too much (Hint in the Lead bit of the name) but also they tend to die a bit before the fight is due to finish.
    This is why I have now got most of the components to convert over to the modern stuff

Register To Comment