Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lipo in heavy

Quote Originally Posted by roamingrobots
    How is stored Co2 just as dangerous?
    Do you mean the uncontrolled release of potential energy, from a catastrophic failure of a cylinder of liquefied gas at about 1000 psi.

The potential energy to flip a 100kg robot over 2 meters into the air about ten times with all the losses in the system.

The continual charge and discharge of said cylinders at below normal temperatures

The manufacture of expansion vessels with no regard to certification for the gas handling equipment

The said cylinders being held in place with cable ties!

Anyway I said don't get me started

Craig ,

You mean we won't be seeing a full pressure Co2 saint soon ??

If a co2 bottle gets damaged or fails in a robot in the arena in a fight, all that will happen is it expels the gas. No issue there.
    If a burst disc blows, it expels gas, and generally bottles are kept inside the robots. Burst discs ONLY fail when people don't follow safety procedures and overfill a bottle anyway.
    The worst case scenario is when filling bottles, where users are up close.

Fire is a whole new ball game !!

It's similar to why we don't use petrol, we manage the risks in the environment we work in.

I'll put it out there, even if the FRA ok them at the end of the year, I don't believe I will be allowing them to become the norm.
    As a business, the rewards don't jump in leaps over the risks, it's unneccisary in my opinion when A123's are around.

John

That's right Jonno I don't feel I could make one I would be happy with at the moment.

But I must stress this is only my opinion and I am not trying to influence anyone in an adverse way.

I think I am A victim of my own training ,we were told never mess around with compressed gas, always use the correct fittings never modify or use a gas handling component outside of the manufactures instructions, and so on and I just can't shake that!

With the fire risk question I would agree this dose cause problems with regard to Insurance and public safety. These are questions that have to be addressed in a legal way, rather than from an engineering point of view.

The CO2 comment was based around what Craig mentioned earlier but I digress.

I guess that's me got my answer, no point in buying them even if FRA allows as EO's won't allow them to be ran.

So where is everyone getting their A123s? All I can find are cheap chinese knock offs

a.fuse wouldn't.help.short circuiting would.it.

well yes it would and those are already in the rules. The issue is if they are punctured however if they are properly shielded in a bot this shouldn't be an issue.

Is it a problem if a heavyweight robot catches fire in the arena?

Is it a problem if the arena is filled with a cloud of white smoke?

...yes...

http://www.electricwingman.com/power/a1 ... cells.aspx
    On the safety issues I think quite a few of us should be taught how to fill gas , charge safely and be as safe as possible.

is 2300mah enough? 3 packs of 12v?

Register To Comment