Register To Comment
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Eventorizon: Build Diary

Welcome to combat robots

I am going to order my Banebots parts soon and I was wondering what I should get in the way of spares.

I was going to get 4 motors and 3 gearbox's but I just wonder if I should get 4 of each so I have a total replacement set.

Has anyone ever had on of their gearbox's fail through general combat? I mean getting smacked by NST on the shaft will obviously break it but what experience have people got with them?

Oh and does anyone have an accurate density for Hardox 400? Ellis and i have been looking and it can swing from 7650kg/m^3 to 9345kg/m^3.

Hardox 400 is a tad heavier than normal steel, but not that much. For a fast calculation I just use 8kg/dmĀ³.

Not had a failure yet, but I carry a complete spare drive unit - motor/gearbox/hub/wheels just incase...

This happened yesterday but I have ordered...

4X Banebots 7nn, 16:1 gearbox's
    4x RS775 18V Motors
    8x 1 Wide, 1/2 inch bore Wheel Hubs.

Still not got time at the moment to finish the CAD but it is looking good at 13kg without many changes.

If it is over weight I can see myself milling pockets into the Bulkheads/Hardox/Ti where I am not in need of as much material.

What was delivery like on that order? I'll be placing a similar order myself soon so would be a good idea to have a heads up on postage costs

It is $65 standard delivery to anywhere in the world or $75 express. That's all the options you get. Mine totalled at $413 with standard delivery.

Off the subject of robots, I came across this...

... and something about just seems a little odd.

The material is said to be Toolox 44 but at the speed it is cutting it, with no coolant, I cant see how? It isn't sped up it just jumps to key points. And the way the machine is behaving in how it cuts seems unusual as well. Its not doing the typical layer by layer pattern. Is this common for CNC mills these days or is this a special/new type?

Good tool path generation algorithm (which we unfortunately have to pay for)

Essentially they use the side of the end mill to take off lots of material at once and step inwards and upwards from the bottom of the work piece. They also have something to stop it from cutting air as much.

Manufacturers specs (second to last page) for machining toolox 44 say nothing about lubricants for milling and that it can be cut at very high speeds (100-150 meters/minute cutting speed) which make it similar to brass except carbide tooling is needed to deal with the hardness.

Getting ever closer! Conker 3.12.3
    Conker 3.12.3 Render 01.JPG
    Conker 3.12.3 Render 02.JPG
    Conker 3.12.3 Render 03.JPG
    Current weight in CAD is 12.86kg! Still has 4mm Hardox around the edges and the sides, 3mm Ti on the top and bottom and the monstrous 16:1 RS775 Banebots drive. If if cant spin... it will just slam!

Register To Comment