Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wanted: 4 x drill motors

Yeah, nearly broke my wrist

If people are interested in some testing of the gimson motors today I bolted my 4 motors to my chassis and gave it its first proper strength test.

Before this I have an issue with the bearings popping out at random and they had never been so much as dropped but a piece of HDPE over those has sorted that.

The stress testing basically involved me and an exuberant first year throwing the robot around our uni workshop. Given the design it pretty much always landed on its wheels at some point and I have had no issues what so ever.

I even have some videos I took so I will get them up, though her throws were not as big as mine; she did not want to break it :-P

Here we go...

The problem with drill motors is that they aren't strong and people mount them in a way that makes them break. If you try and hold both the motor and the gearbox. Any bending in your chassis is going straight into those 3 tiny screws in the plastic. Time and time again I see people at events with broken gearboxes because ive seen them mounted in this way. We mount ours with steel mounts that only hold the gearbox end. this means the robot can be bent and hit to buggery and it wont strain the motor. As the mounts are made from steel you cant flex them to rip the end of the gearbox out. In Captain Scarlett we use our mounts and each year the wheels get whacked by spinners and half the time ripped off. Not once have we ever had a gearbox failure. It is all due to the motor mounts. Get the right mounts and your motors wont get wrecked.

Looking good Alex, will you be taking it to the Yeovil event by any chance?

And all true James, Alex isn't using/mounting drills as you describe however

If I wasn't on a budget of 0 I would have got the steel drill faceplates in a heartbeat .

I am using Ewan's GR01 motors :-) They are superb so far despite a minor bearing issue. The are held in top and bottom with 4 M5 bolts then held in with another face plate which as added to solve the bearing issue so its 8 bolts and 2 screws holding each one down! The only thing I wish is that I had made the robot slightly taller as the area inside the robot is only as tall as the motors themselves, ie 45mm! wiring is really difficult and one of my Lipos is going to struggle to fit!

And most likely no to Yeovil due to uni and lack of transport, unless there is a good bus!

Register To Comment