Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Build Tutorial - Research

Hi folks,
    (audience participation required further down)

Over the past few weeks I€™ve been toying with the idea of creating a video tutorial of how to build a relatively simple featherweight spinner. This came about when I realised that I had enough spare parts to build a second drum robot, combined with the creation of several new threads on here that were asking the same questions that have been asked numerous times before.
    The tutorial would take the form of video €˜chapters€™, covering all aspects of building a featherweight robot, from the design stages through to construction and combat. Essentially it would be a video version of Rex€™s Robot Challenge, but brought in line with current parts, materials and technologies. With any luck, once everything€™s made, all the chapters can be placed in a thread and €˜stickied€™ so that it can serve as a reference to new builders and anyone who has a question regarding the construction of a featherweight robot.

Obviously this wouldn€™t be the one and only way to make a featherweight robot as each roboteer€™s approach and build techniques differ and vary. While the aim is to complete a functional robot with active weapon, it will by no means be the €˜perfect€™ way to create a robot.

As the tutorial will be based around my way of working, I have figured out what a lot of the content will be already. But there are some things that I may take for granted as easy that others could benefit from with a tutorial video.
    Two examples which have caught my eye in these threads over the past few weeks are building your own battery pack, and making wheels/inserting nuts. I initially hadn€™t thought about focusing much on them in the video since I€™m used to them, but thinking about it from a beginner€™s viewpoint, I realised a few minutes detailing how to do it would be beneficial.

In case there are any similar things (like these examples) that I may have missed, can I just ask what you would like to see included in such videos? For example, have you ever thought about making your own Deans mount, but don€™t know how to go about it? If so, let me know and I€™ll try and include a section within a chapter covering it (as long as it€™s within my knowledge!)

This is going to take a fair amount of work but I feel something like this is much needed. If all goes well, the completed robot will be ready to compete at the next full combat featherweight event.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed

P.S. Once the main robot is complete, I hope to add Appendix chapters covering weapon systems for an electric axe and low-pressure flipper, which would be documented as trial-and-error as I progress with the builds for Grond and my flipper respectively, but that€™s a long way off yet!

Nice idea mate but you'd be wasting your time- its not for a lack of information that the same questions get asked again and again, it's a lack of intelligence from the noobs who don't use the search function... Plus to make a spinner IMO. You should be able to come up with the design your self and have a good idea how to implement it... Alot of people seem to struggle to just make a drill motor pushy bot made out of plastic...

... That'll probably offend someone, but in advance - i don't really care

Personally, everybody who does a video tutorial kinda misses the point I found the best about the RRC in the first place. Which was it was in a magazine, it was on paper & I could take it to the shed to follow the instructions.

I acknowledge that video is good at showing you tricky bits but IMHO the inconvenience of needing a video player & quality of video doesn't compare to even a printed sheet of paper.

Sounds like a good idea to me, can never have too much knowledge kicking about on the net, especially when it comes to new comers making something as dangerous as a spinner.

As far as making things like batteries is concerned, is there any real point? I mean, it seems almost as cheap to buy something pre made if you're looking at NiCad/NiMH and if you're going for LiPo then thats your only option, and that seems to be what we will all be looking at as standard in a few years time. Also, I cant see drill batteries lasting very long in a speed 900 drum spinner if thats what you were planning to make packs with. Making wheels/nut inserting is probably a good call though. As for deans mounts, seems a bit on the easy side to me, even for newcomers. Just basically attacking a bit of plastic with a drill and gluing it in really, but saying that, doing those things anyway won't hurt I suppose.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything for granted, start from scratch and go from there, but as there seems to be a big call for wiring diagrams that could maybe just be a file linked through the description of the video that once people have watched it they can print off and take with them as a reference. Could probably be linked along with things like this forum, the stickied thread, rules etc. maybe even suppliers (especially if you're using parts like the Gimson motors)

Also, if you're looking for any parts or a hand to make the robot give me a shout and i'd love to get involved, even as a cameraman if you need it. Don't want it costing you a fortune or taking up all of your time/giving you an excuse if Drumroll still sucks

I agree with mr turbulence over there

Register To Comment