Register To Comment
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Near Chaos Robotics

You seem to be turning into the Sebastian Vettel of the combat robot world! That's an impressive record. Thanks for going through the trouble of filming and uploading these.

Right, there goes my day, starting at video 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNCR View Post

As a side note, I won the 1, 12 and 30lb class this year.
    Haha, nicely done!

I've been working on a new featherweight for my fiance to drive at events. Here's a progress picture-

Planned attachments are an axe, a hammer, a chainsaw, and a circular saw. Drive is a pair of 18v Dewalts geared for ~10mph and the center of gravity is within an inch of the wheel axles with the hammer attachment, so it should be able to swing fairly well.

That looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by shakesc View Post
    Looks nice

Are the wheels going to be mounted direct on the Dewalts gearboxes or on their own axles?
    Wheels are on their own shafts with an additional 1.25:1 reduction off of the dewalts.

Quote Originally Posted by shakesc View Post
    Mike, interesting. I guess with the wheels that size the extra reduction is useful. Did you need this for any shock resistance to the motors themselves?
    Also I heard that the Dewalts have a winding advance so that they are 7% ? faster forwards than reverse. Just wondered if this was correct and how you then are looking to balance that?

Chris
    Offset is mainly for two things- Extra reduction, and shifting the weight balance closer to the wheel axles. As far as the timing, my intent is to get the forward direction driving straight and rely on the fact that it will only be reversing for short distances to deal with the timing issues. It may twist a bit when swinging the weapon, but it shouldn't be all that much since with the balance it should swing the body very smoothly.

Here's the chainsaw attachment in progress:

Still have to cut the slots in the arm for the sprockets and finish welding the teeth in place. For now they're all tac'd in place as I was running low on argon for the welder. When done it'll be powered by a 775 size motor geared down to a tooth speed of approximately 20ft/s.

Register To Comment