Register To Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New FW- doorstop

If you have any weight left I would put some big weights as close to the wheels as you can, looks like its gonna lose traction very easily and just spin up the wheels.

Agreed, in fact I'd make the wheels much thicker as well, the amount of wheel currently in contact with the ground isn't going to be anything like enough to make the two motors per side worth it. That said, it should be batty as hell, and entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_turbulence
    having 2 motors per wheel is totaly pointless. especialy on a 2wd robot.... waste of weight, battery capacity, speedos... etc etc its hard enough to get the power down with one motor for 3 wheels...
    hmhm, true that

ummmm, dumb question. But doesn't the transmited force = normal load x friction coeficient?
    Ideally (for smooth bodies) this is true, but in the real world of numerous variables there's an issue: friction is created by the interference (on a very small scale) of surfaces, such as a tyre and the road, and with soft rubber tyres you're likely to get very high interference where almost all gaps/ridges in the traction surface are filled by rubber. In this case you stand to benefit by making the tyre wider up until the point that the weight over the wheel is too little to keep pressing the rubber fully into the surface imperfections. Just look at racing cars (with substantially wider tyres than road cars) to see the property in practice (but then you've also got chemical tyre reactions as in F1.. a story for another day).

With this (or any 2WD) design there's obviously not 100% of the weight over the driven wheels, no matter how large they are. I really can't see how this machine can use the power available to it, though it should be very good at spinning it's wheels...

have you sorted the titanium for the front yet?

Register To Comment