Register To Comment
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimson Robotics

That was my initial concern, I'm using a 6S.

What kind of video would you be after? Am happy to do one if it helps, haven't so far.

I wouldn't generally advise running the 14.4V on 6S, the motors will want to draw an awful lot of current and possibly overheat- but you could work around the issue by using a current limited controller and setting travel limits on your transmitter so that the maximum voltage the controller will put out is less than the battery voltage. If you possibly can heat-sinking the rear of the motor near the brushes ought to help too, I've recently had a set of rear mounts cut for this purpose but haven't yet got round to tapping & sanding them for use. Additionally removing the ring around the motor will result in a slight power drop and (unloaded) speed increase which might help depending what characteristics you're after.

Could always swap out the motor for a 24V drill motor. Am I right in thinking that the bolt pattern is the same as any standard drill motor?

Only '500' type motor cans would be a straight swap, all 24V drills I've dissected have had speed 700 or 800 sized motors with a different bolt pattern and usually 5mm rather than 3.175mm diameter shafts. You might be able to find an 18V drill with a 540 or 550 size motor however

Performance video of them under load driving about with a 13.6kg load on them.

So there capable of working on 21v but you dont suggest running them over 4s?

Suggested esc? Scorpion xxl?

I'll aim to put one together in the next month, hopefully featuring the tracked vehicle I've been working on for a while (if someone else who's bought the motors doesn't do it before me!)

For the 14.4V motor yes, it will 'work' but I wouldn't advise it unless you took precautions to avoid overheating and stalling. This is a bit of a generalisation though as there's many variables (2WD? 4WD? Wheel size? Traction levels? Run time?) which will all dictate whether the motors are going to cope at any voltage. I should add that running at above nominal voltage isn't covered in the warranty.

I'd personally recommend an XXL, though not to say others wouldn't work too

The 14.4V version runs 570 rpm. With an 80mm wheel, that's a tad slow. (.08*p*570*60/1000=) 8.5 km/h. @6S = 13km/h still on the slow side

I'm going to use a 170mm Grafix/Flex wheel on the 9.6V set I have. Wat gives me 16km/h with 3S

The ali for the adaptors is sitting in the lathe , bought myself a 3/8 UNF tap and die set. I have high hopes for this.

It's 850 grams lighter than a set of Speed 900 MSR 12-54's , and 500 gram lighter than the Speed 700 KOS 12-36-12-72 setup I have around.

My motors and wheels arrived today. Took them apart to have a look and everything seems very nicely made. They've had their run-in period, now I just need to decide what robot to put them into.
    Cheers Ewan

My pleasure, looking forward to seeing them all put to use!

Register To Comment