Register To Comment
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimson Robotics

Good to hear Harry, they ought to be providing more torque than many cheap drills (the motors come from a factory making drills for the American market at RRP ~$45) as they're a different build of 'speed 550' than you'll normally find.

I first heard of the bearing popping issue last week, it seems either vibration and/or temperature changes (creating expansion/contraction of the plastic) are causing the problem rather than axial loads. I will now be recommending that all users put a small cover on the front of the motor of some form if they're not mounting via the front surface. I imagine that for those of you that it's happened to so far the second bearing took up the load? Not ideal but hopefully not a damaging problem- please contact me (or PM) if either pressing a bearing back is too difficult or you've had other issues and I'll make sure it's sorted.

Dave, Mario's hit the nail on the head in that it might not be the best motor/gearbox that money can buy but it's absolutely the best that £24 can- Nylon was used for the ease of machining and ease of threading (inserts) over aluminium which would cost significantly more to produce for the same function. Furthermore all parts, including front plates were cut on a 3-axis mill and so features are only cut into one side of each part hence the front bearing not being on the other side of the Nylon front piece.

Are they back in stock now Ewan? WIll be looking for a pair when the website allows it again.

Not yet but will be tomorrow, on the current website for now as the new one's still being finished

Double, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by mr_turbulence
    Yet again you fail to see the point Mario...
    You think so. I feel so stupid compared to you now.

If you purchased a new car with m6 wheel nuts and the wheels kept falling of you wouldn't change them for bigger ones... You'd expect the manufacturer to get it right.
    If you pay for a citycar, don't expect a sportscar.

You can , if you're willing to fork out the money, get the specs way up compared to the original, but then the question is, why didn't you buy the sportscar to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan
    Mario's hit the nail on the head in that it might not be the best motor/gearbox that money can buy but it's absolutely the best that £24 can
    Thanks Ewan.

the gimpson motors seemed to work alright in barnsleybot, though they didn't exactly get a good test as barnsleybot only competed in 1 fight (esc troubles).

the main problem was that the 4 bolts that hold the gearbox together came loose on the side with the wonky wheel. this allowed the metal tube to spin whilst the output shaft remained stationary.

Hi Jonny, when re-tightening the bolts it's a good idea to take the front of the gearbox off to ensure that the 'teeth' on one side of the outer ring/metal tube are in line with the grooves on the middle-piece, I'll post a picture shortly to illustrate.

Here's what I mean, for the ring to spin the bolts must've become loose enough for the teeth to disengage, make sure they're in line for re-tightening and make sure they're well tightened or use super-glue on the bolts if you want to be sure of it not happening again.

There will be a more thorough picture series for the gearbox on the new website, currently waiting for some decent sunlight to take the next round of pictures (much cheaper than photographic lighting!).

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    Not yet but will be tomorrow, on the current website for now as the new one's still being finished
    Cheers Ewan, will be looking out for them

Quote Originally Posted by Anttazz
    Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    Cheers Ewan, will be looking out for them

The GR01 page has now been updated. As previously mentioned, further details and pictures of the gearbox including two small design changes mentioned on the page will be coming later this week, with the new website.

Register To Comment