Register To Comment
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Robot Class

Perhaps we should think about laying down some rules for this. I want this to be a community thing, so I'll just be making suggestions.

Thanks to Jordan for pointing us towards the Aussie similar post:

http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

There are a few things we can take from this.

No internal non-wood frames. This is to make sure people don't make a HPDE bulkhead bot, or a Hardox frame and then put some wood on the outside. We can allow some non wood structure though, like brackets, angles etc...

13.6kg weight limit. I think we should aim for the FW class, it popular, a good starting point and should encourage a good amount of bots.

No external metal. No metal should be on the outside of your bots, or easily visible (if you need it for a weapons system). This will also encourage safety if any sort of 'Rotating' (I'll avoid the S word) weapon should be allowed.

If 'Rotating' weapons should be allowed, their energy will be heavily limited in Energy, RPM, weight and diameter.

Open Source and Community build approval. I got this directly from the aussies but maybe we shouldn't be so stringent! Basically we don't want people being sneaky or secretive, let people know what you plan and don't be devious. This isn't so much as competition as just a bit of fun, so let's encourage destruction!

Wood Types? Any one have any comments on this? Should we allow any wood (natural (pine oak) or processed (MDF, chipboard)? Or just have MDF?

Do the EO's have anything to say about this?

well i'm ready

Haha, that you are.

We have 1!

I would go for soft wood and ply not MDF.

Why's that? I know MDF dust is very bad for you, but it's readily available, cheap, rigid, and easy to work with?

Are there any woods we should Ban?

i think we could all bang together a wooden bot for kidderminster

if rotating weapons are allowed, ill try and make one

Why's that? I know MDF dust is very bad for you
    Question answered that's the only reason I would not advise it.

Register To Comment