Register To Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Tool Drag Racing! September 25th Entries open.

Saw this earlier and was surprised it wasn't on here already. Quite short notice though

Silverline's Annual Power Tool Drag Racing Championship will be held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, RNAS Yeovilton in Somerset, on 25th September 2011. Organised with our team at Robo Challenge the extreme sport of power tool drag racing involves engineering power tools into drag racing mean machines!

If this catches your imagination, why not enter the competition? There's a total prize fund of £3,000 up for grabs, plus lots of chances to win top prizes. Featuring ride-on and non ride-on classes, the rules for power tool drag racing are pretty simple: take a hand held power tool, turn it into something resembling a drag racer, and set it off down a 75-foot long track. If you are really up to the challenge, why not enter the ride-on class. Some competitors start with the frame of an existing vehicle such as a go kart, while others start from scratch. Commonly used tools include petrol chainsaws and leaf blowers!

After achieving 4th place in 2009, and 3rd in 2010, Channel 5's Gadget Show are rumoured to return to the event, this time with their eye on the first prize! Last year the Gadget Show teamed up with Robo Challenge to create an awesome chainsaw powered dragster!
    This totally out of this world event is one not to be missed! Not only does it make for a truly awesome day out, but the engineering that goes into the drag racers provides hours of pre race day fun too! What's more, 2010 British Touring Car Champion Jason Plato and team mate Alex MacDowall will take a break from driving the Silverline Chevrolet Cruze to make a public appearance at the 2011 event!
    With timing down to a tenth of a second between standings last year, we have no doubt all of the competitors will be at the top of their game. DIY has never been so much fun!!

You entering Tony? :P

Who's entering what this year? I'm gonna be honest and say that without the robot side of things attached to it this time, I've had no urge to enter. Just costs too much in terms of fuel, accommodation etc for very little return. Can't believe it's been almost a year already though. Wonder if Dave's singed arm hairs have grown back yet?

Haha no no, don;t really fancy the 7 and a half hour drive, and as fun as it would be to watch, I have no real interest in spending any money to take part, and as you said, fuel/hotel costs would make it just silly-expensive. Just thought there would be people on here who would want to enter.

Im going with my C5. Another engine arrived today for mine, pick up the other on Saturday, twice the power from last year, speed up from 33pmh to 50mph. Just trying to figure out a way of controlling the throttles, looking like servos at the moment. Big Nipper are also building an electric one, think we're the only ones this year.

I didn't think it was on this year. I haven't got anything done for it. are the feather robots going this year?

Dare you to chop off all the roll cages, it'll save weight!

Craig, put some drill motors on pilgrim, you could have the first walking drag racer!

judging from the pictures Graeme you are not taking this challenge seriously
    As to this event I thought some one would have mentioned on this site so I wouldn't have to bother with the other sites
    Thank goodness you have given up with the Dremmels

Hi Guys

Yes we were just about to post this event up! Every one should have got it now from our Newsletter.

Yes the Silverline Power Tool Drag Racing is back this year at Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovil! I know there are quite a few new entries for the ride on catagory and we have heard that the previous winning time has already been broken by some teams in testing so it should be a great event. We are also running the indoor racing system so make sure you get your angle grinders belt sanders and any other hand held power tool and bring them down to the track. Silverline have put up some great prize money to race for and I am expecting the competition to have seriously upped the pace!

If you would like to enter please do so here. http://www.silverlinetools.com/asset...RULES_2011.pdf

If you have any questions at all just let me know. I hope to see lots of you there and we are very much looking forward to an awesome event!

Register To Comment