Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Tool Drag Racing! September 25th Entries open.

BTW 50mph is nothing, Adam Harper (one of the original RW judges who worked for Sinclair) beat the electric land speed record...

Adam Harper, the driver who broke the world land speed record for an electric vehicle by whipping along at a staggering 150mph, was on hand to recount the tale of daring.

Adam, 39, from Kent, was one of the first C5 salesman and is now the only world authorised dealer.

'Up to 100mph it's like you're running on rails, it's really stable,' said the dare-devil driver, who also performed the first electric vehicle stunt in a C5 by driving through a 70ft tunnel of fire.

'Then at about 110 to 120mph it starts getting tricky. At that point if a tyre blew up or something happened you would be surely dead.'

Had to do abit of a rebuild today, the actuators turned out to be no good (burnt out 3 out of 4), so the throttles are now controlled by servos. A few little bits to do tommorrow and it should be done, couldn't run it today due to it raining.

rather drive yours in the rain than mine, the risk of electrocution is less than that of pointing the wrong way halfway down the track!

150 mph <blocked> that

All you have to do is paint it??? That cant be right lol. We are still working on ours lots of problems. This year the timing will be the same as drag racing with the top speed displayed

Alan looks really good. We went with the beach buggy as should be stable (and it was cheap on ebay), allthough with the 5hp engine that came with it, it could lift the front wheels of the road, that why the grinders are as low as possible.

Want to see pictures of yours James.

It might be finished but that doesn't mean it will work on the day, you didn't build a 250V 35kW speed controller for under £150 . Just the isolator switch cost £60.

Graeme, got 2 110Ah lead acid batteries if we need them for the chargers on the day, should be able to do 2 full recharges before they go flat if they are ok. Wouldn't let me borrow the silverbird LiPo's

I'll bring my off roader Mark, thats got 3x 50Ah batts on it you can use to charge off.

That must be one hell on an isolater for £60, couldn't you have just an automotive keyswitch, theyre rated at a few hundred amps and only £15.

Fitted a speedo to mine today, only a bike one, but will give me an idea of speed. Fit wheelie bar tommorrow, then all done.

Automotive isolators are only rated at low voltage, try to use them at high voltage and the contacts usually weld together. Couldn't find a resonalbly priced single one so got a 32A 8way isolator and split them between the grinders.

Thanks for the offer of the batteries. They will let us use the power inside if needed just need them incase we need to recharge quickly outside.

You can always download an android app to record your speed. I tried one at the weekend call car performance that records your max speed, time to 40mph,60mph, 330 foot (~100m) time and others using the GPS and accelorometer. Seemed to be quite accurate with my car, didn't try it with the dragster.

Register To Comment