Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post battle analysis and repair

Thank's Andrew

Because I will be bringing 3 Robots for the next events I think a re-match is inevitable

with at least one of my Robots.

I'm not sure whether to rotate my selection of Robots-yes I have another- Barnsley Bruiser

but I will probably stick with the same 3 for now if they are working well.

Thank's Sam

Yes my Robots did seem markedly better and I was taken back at the speed of

Piece de Resistance in it's fight with plastic fantastic.

Burnt out motors is my fault I guess -running 12 volt motors at 16 volts.

12v motors should be ok at 16v, they have usually a 50% over specified power limit. Perhaps its the brushes snapping on the small copper arms internally due to the knocks they had from combat. That is usually the case with mine when i have broken the 550 motors i use.

I would agree Nat, normally you could get almost continual use with a 50% over voltage but

there are other factors like the near stall factor of the motors when trying to push another bot.

Motors are going to run hot when over the specified voltage then you add the load it's kind

of asking for trouble-I still include a slip clutch in the design but even that has limited

tolerance when you push too hard so I will up the spec of my motors where I can to be

more compatible with voltage input.

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by team death
    Adam had his first real go at driving since we built No Imagination now called Piece de Resistance
    and I must say I was very impressed with his control and aggression.

Thanks for the compliment! I tried to keep things going and apply pressure, and keep on the bots without too much spare time off the ball. Hopefully we can resolve the motor issues so that method works without any issues.

It was definitely a fun challenge keeping 3 bots up and running as much as possible, and the constant flow without too much time to think!

2020 Robodojo team Death report

We took 3 robots along to the January event and as usual there
    were highs and lows with wins and loses breakdowns and bad luck.

Danger UXB threw a split link in it's first fight which left one wheel

on my wagon again but still managed to beat Bread dead redemption-

also with one wheel working.

Piece de resistance broke the weld on wheel stud and gave me a real

headache all way through the competition and when I finally got it semi

bodged together for round 4 the esc wires came loose after been disturbed

by myself working on the wheel .

Project Fear suffered a burnt out motor on the hammer/fork in round 2 and

a great big hole in the body work from an axe blow.

The highlight for me was Project fear beating Alexander's commissioned robot

despite having no weapon.

All team death robots are now fully working again

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by team death View Post
    All team death robots are now fully working again
    That didn't take long! Glad to know PdR is up and running. I don't think I got chance to go all out with my driving this time around due to the miscellaneous issues it had last Dojo

Sorry I couldn't get Piece de resistance working well on the day Adam and I noted

in your expression that you weren't happy driving an under par robot but the good

news it's fixed and better than before.

This gives me lots of time to tweak all the bots and work on the Mean Machine-

Note to self-Take along the welder to events in case of breakages

The trouble with piece de resistance was...it just couldn't lift and although I tried various attempts to

rectify this including springs and shortening the lifting arm it was still disappointing.

So with my Corona virus free time and less distractions I have re -worked it once again.

Originally the motor was part of a bath mate lifter to help lift folk out of the bath and so

it should be capable of lifting 100kg so why cant it lift a featherweight robot?-here's why-

I removed the heavy duty reducing gear thinking it was overkill for what I needed and also

it was not easy to fit into my design but with more time on my hands it's now in the bot.

The arrow shows the original position of the lifting arm.....so the new position makes the

lifter very strong but not the quickest.

DSCN0349_LI.jpgDSCN0342.jpg

McMullet
    Nice! I'd always thought the "spatula" lacked the oomph it needed, this should work very well!

what ratio you think it using now ? i know lifters like bagherst used a 775 on 64:1 ratio (16:1 gearbox then a finel 4 to one)

Register To Comment