Register To Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vapourbot Grand Prix 2010

what Im looking for is to ram robots I can easilly control, aka no axlebots and the like, Axeon and Killobite seem tasty for this purpose, Ran and OID to a lesser extent, go for one, get under, lift, and ram! dont take too much time though, thats dangerous with so many opponents, so after a succesful ram, hopefull into a hazard, imediately get moving again, get ready for the next ram

That's all great, guys.

JACK & MATT: If you guys are going to provide tactics, I'll need them posted here ASAP. I understand Matt's been having some computer woes recently and I'd ideally like everyone to post game strategies for each match to make it all as fair as possible. That said, I really want to get this tournament up and running sharpish before I start losing interest. I'll give you two a few more days, but if I get no word of tactics, I'm afraid I'll have to start without them.

Good luck all, again!

heeey

hmm, wait for somthing to come my way, then smash it (kinda like fishing really)

OK guys, I've waited long enough and so have you. The Formula One British Grand Prix has already been and gone today, so what's say we get our own party started? :wink:

THE VAPOURBOT GRAND PRIX 2010
    ROUND 1/10: THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX
    ARENA - The Robot Wars UK Arena
    HOUSE ROBOTS- Dead Metal, Matilda, Sgt Bash & Shunt

For this fight, Slammer VI will be using the grabbing pincers.

Roboteers, stand by...
    ACTIVATE!

The Vapourbot Grand Prix has begun, and it's a bit of a slow start here in London. As it's the first fight of the tournament, everybody seems a little tentative, unsure where to begin. Everyone, that is, except for Flick of the Wrist and 9.9 on the Richter Scale. Martijn has charged straight at Axeon while Dan is heading straight for Delirium Tremors. Flick of the Wrist strikes first, crashing into Axeon's side and trying to push it into the nearest wall. Axeon spins around and fires the axe, just clipping the Dutch entry's top. As the two lock horns, Delirium Tremors and Richter collide...
    CRRRASH!
    Oooh, deary! The two spinners set off a shower of sparks as their blades come together! Richter takes the harder knock, but also recovers the quickest, bumping Delirium Tremors as Matt gets the giant drum rolling again. Is that a couple of nibble-marks I see on its side?
    CRRRASH!
    Ouch! I see them now! Richter bites into Delirium Tremors' left housing, but now the drum is back up and running!
    CRRRASH!
    Richter takes a nasty knock and tumbles into the path of Axeon and Flick of the Wrist! The hammerbot has just been slammed into the wall by Flick and Andy is looking to take it out on someone - namely Richter! Axeon scrapes under the Welsh bot's sides and clamps it with the titular axe! Dan tries to get away but Axeon appears to be in control, allowing Flick of the Wrist to have a pop at Delirium Tremors.
    CRRRASH!
    Another shower of sparks, but not enough to stop Flick! Martijn powers under Delirium Tremors and shoves it effortlessly into the southwest CPZ, straight into the corner and the scoop of Shunt!
    Flick of the Wrist backs off and goes to join the other four robots in action. Not too much has happened thus far for them. Eye of Ran and O.I.D. have both spun up, but neither of their weapons have found a target yet. Killobite, meanwhile, has been playing an energetic game of 'Tag' with Alex, who seems to be having a whale of a time if Slammer VI's jumping is anything to go by! Flick of the Wrist smacks into O.I.D., prompting Jack to spin his bot around violenty...
    CRRRASH!
    Flick receives a nasty scar, but is still going strong and has managed to stop the disc completely. The Dutch entry pushes O.I.D. aside and slams into the Pit Release, just as Jack starts the flywheel up again. He's about to strike a second time when Slammer hurtles into the fray, closely followed by Killobite. Slammer aims for Eye of Ran, clearly hoping to grab those exposed frames at the sides, but the T-shaped terror whirls blade-first into the experienced bot's pincers!
    CRRRASH!
    Pow! Right in the kisser! Slammer's jaw takes a beating as Killobite finally catches up to it. Kody tries to get underneath, but a delightful bunny hop sees Slammer jump away...and back into Eye of Ran! Joey wants some space to spin his blade up, but Killobite's having none of it! Kody scrapes its forks under Eye of Ran and brings down the terrible crushing claw! Clearly the Canadian's eyes are on the Pit, but someone may beat him to it. Flick of the Wrist and O.I.D. are dancing close by and Delirium Tremors is coming over to join them, with a couple more dents and bruises than before! Mind those spinners!
    CRRRASH!
    CRRRACK!
    Delirium Tremors gets the first blow, smacking into O.I.D's side, but O.I.D. proves the nimbler of the two and hits its unusual opponent in the right housing! Sounds like one of the skirts may be damaged there, but Matt has bigger problems! Killobite has trundled over with Eye of Ran and looking to dump it down the Pit! Delirium Tremors attempts to get away, but the other robots are closing in! O.I.D. swoops around for another attack, only to be bumped away by Flick of the Wrist! Jack notices he's dangerously close to the Pit and tries to escape...
    Just as Killobite barges in with Eye of Ran and pushes them both down into the void! Jack is out, and so to is Joey, his bot dumped on top of O.I.D! Killobite releases its grip on Eye of Ran, just in time to avoid Flick of the Wrist...but not Delirium Tremors!
    CRRRASH!
    Killobite's pretty paintwork takes a lashing, and, unlucky for Kody, Matt's enormous drum still has some life left in it. Delirium Tremors sweves back into Killobite's side!
    CRRRASH!
    Kody looks a little worried about that, but never fear, the Dutch are here! Flick of the Wrist slams into Delirium Tremors and sweeps the giant drum machine over to the Pit! Matt barely has time to blink before finding himself on top of O.I.D. and Eye of Ran! Three down, five to go!
    At the other end of the arena, Richter is in trouble. Axeon has managed to keep its grip for the most part and has shoved the Welsh bot into the northwest CPZ. That's Dead Metal's domain and the House Robot welcomes Richter with open arms - and a buzzing saw blade! As the living scrapheap nibbles at Richter's shell, Slammer bounces up the arena to join the fun and have a pop at Axeon. Andy attempts to grab hold of it, but Slammer remains a very slippery customer. The long-time veteran simply jumps out of Axeon's way and does well to avoid it as Flick of the Wrist and Killobite begin to head their way towards them. Slammer dodges Axeon with another well-timed, but not so well-aimed jump. The interchangable wonder leaps away from Axeon - and right onto Dead Metal! The stunned House Robot allows Richter to wriggle free and rev up, while Alex quickly hops out of the House Robot's way.
    Our five survivors have reconvened in the top half of the warzone and the chaos continues! Axeon and Flick of the Wrist resume their scuffle, while Killobite sets its eyes on Slammer again. Richter gets there first, however, bumping the metal flea just as it hops away! Little damage done, but it has thrown Alex's landing off a bit. Dan speeds forwards before it can recover...
    CRRRASH!
    Now that's what I call a jump! The force of Richter's charge and its terrible weaponry throw Slammer almost as high as its own flippers! Alex tries to hop away, but here comes Killobite to take advantage! Kody begins lowering the claw before they even touch and scrapes the compact bot's shell as it wriggles away! Not quickly enough to avoid Richter, though...
    CRRRASH!
    Slammer goes flying again, just as Flick of the Wrist slams Axeon into the cluster of robots! Axeon ploughs through and joins Killobite in the hunt for Slammer, who seems a little woozier now, while Flick and Richter size each other up. Slammer attempts another daring escape, but finds itself caught between the two robots. Killobite strikes first, narrowly missing the mechanical jumping bean with a full-on charge. Axeon, however, doesn't miss and quickly clamps Slammer with its axe. Before Alex can bound away, Andy pushes his experienced entry into Dead Metal's claws! The House Robot takes hold and pins Slammer into the corner, chewing away at the compact machine with that vicious saw. Killobite gets in on the fun too, trying to dig into Slammer's large, exposed wheels. Alex desperately tries to leap to freedom, but almost seems afraid of jumping right out of the arena!
    CRRRASH!
    Ooh, meanwhile, Richter has landed a blow on Flick of the Wrist's front! The forks look OK, if a little scuffed and Martijn is not happy. Flick charges head-on into Richter and pushes it all the way across the arena and into the nearest wall with a deafening clatter! Dan wants to get the 'egg-beater' whirling again, but Martijn just won't give him the chance, bashing the Welsh entry over and over again. Only a well-timed burst of speed between rams allows Richter to escape and rejoin the other robots.
    Things are not going well for Slammer. The veteran remains pinned in the corner and now Axeon has joined the fun, landing a couple of extra hammer blows for good measure. Only when Richter and Flick arrive does the crowd begin to disperse and Dead Metal show some mercy. Slammer is released and leaves the CPZ with a jump, though I don't think it's looking quite right anymore. Killobite must have managed to do something to one of the wheels, maybe Axeon too, because Alex's driving seems a little wonky. It certainly doesn't seem as active anymore, anyway, and not active enough to avoid another Richter attack!
    CRRRASH!
    Slammer is sent tumbling away, just as Killobite takes a stab at Richter. Kody scrapes his forks underneath the Welsh bot and almost gets a grip, but Flick steals his prize as we enter the last few seconds of the match.
    Flick and Richter dance around each other, stopped only when Killobite ploughs through them both. Kody fails to grab either of them, but does manage to briefly snag Flick of the Wrist with its forks!
    Axeon continues piling pressure on Slammer, landing a couple of solid axe blows to the injured veteran. Slammer attempts to hop away, but still looks very tired. On the plus side, it looks as though it'll last till the final whistle.

CEASE!

And it has! As Axeon lands one final blow, the UK Vapourbot Grand Prix comes to a close. An astonishing five robots are still mobile, so we'll have to ask the Judge to pick a winner for us. This is going to be a close one, I just know it.

AXEON 4.0
    DAMAGE = (3/5) * 3 = 9 (Several good blows throughout, especially on Slammer near the end.)
    AGGRESSION = (3/5) * 2.5 = 7.5 (Kept offensive for the most part, though often bullied by Flick of the Wrist in particular.)
    STRATEGY = (4/5) * 2 = 8 (Excellent use of the House Robots with its clamp attacks.)
    CONTROL = (4/5) * 1.5 = 6 (Again, great use of the axe to both damage and ensnare others. Good marksmanship to boot.)
    STYLE = (3/5) * 1 = 3 (Some nice twirls and grapples. Nothing special, but nothing bad either.)
    TOTAL = 33.5 / 50

FLICK OF THE WRIST
    DAMAGE = (4/5) * 3 = 12 (Scuffed up the others plenty with its rams, but scores high for KOing Delirium Tremors.)
    AGGRESSION = (5/5) * 2.5 = 12.5 (Relentless.)
    STRATEGY = (4/5) * 2 = 8 (Not much of it, but very effective. Scores points for KOing one of its intended targets.)
    CONTROL = (4/5) * 1.5 = 6 (Rarely dominated or off-target.)
    STYLE = (1/5) * 1 = 1 (Curb-stomping rarely equals stylish, sadly.)
    TOTAL = 39.5 / 50

KILLOBITE SIGMA
    DAMAGE = (5/5) * 3 = 15 (Two KOs and the damage to Slammer? Top marks!)
    AGGRESSION = (4/5) * 2.5 = 10 (Consistently on the offensive throughout.)
    STRATEGY = (4/5) * 2 = 8 (Successful attacks on Eye of Ran and Slammer, plus its KOs, mean big points here.)
    CONTROL = (4/5) * 1.5 = 6 (Despite missing its target a few times, solid stuff across the board.)
    STYLE = (3/5) * 1 = 3 (Some nice turns and claw work in this battle.)
    TOTAL = 42 / 50

SLAMMER VI
    DAMAGE = (1/5) * 3 = 3 (Very little, in all honesty.)
    AGGRESSION = (2/5) * 2.5 = 5 (Tried to attack at the start, but wound up doing more running-away.)
    STRATEGY = (3/5) * 2 = 6 (No real slamming achieved, but pulled off some excellent evasive manouveres.)
    CONTROL = (4/5) * 1.5 = 6 (See above. Very nice flipper work throughout.)
    STYLE = (4/5) * 1 = 4 (All those flips and tumbles looked great, until it started to peter out.)
    TOTAL = 24 / 50

9.9 ON THE RICHTER SCALE
    DAMAGE = (4/5) * 3 = 12 (High marks here for its attacks on Delirium Tremors and Slammer in particular.)
    AGGRESSION = (4/5) * 2.5 = 10 (Tenacious from start to finish, though did get ganged up on a little near the end.)
    STRATEGY = (4/5) * 2 = 8 (Dealt notable damage to all its intended targets, even if it couldn't quite finish any off.)
    CONTROL = (3/5) * 1.5 = 4.5 (Steady throughout, though loses points for its scuffle with Dead Metal.)
    STYLE = (3/5) * 1 = 3 (A few good turns, but mainly earns points for its attacks on Slammer.)
    TOTAL = 37.5 / 50

KILLOBITE SIGMA WINS THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX 2010!

-------------------------------------------------

BRITISH GRAND PRIX 2010 RESULTS:
    1. KILLOBITE SIGMA = 10 points
    2. FLICK OF THE WRIST = 8 points
    3. 9.9 ON THE RICHTER SCALE = 6 points
    4. AXEON 4.0 = 4 points
    5. SLAMMER VI = 3 points
    6. DELIRIUM TREMORS = 2 points
    7. EYE OF RAN II = 1 point
    8. O.I.D. = 0 points

Congratulations to Kody Kunz, Martijn Benschop and Daniel Stickler!

Here, then, is the points table for the overall tournament.

TOTAL RESULTS (1/10):
    1. KILLOBITE SIGMA = 10 points
    2. FLICK OF THE WRIST = 8 points
    3. 9.9 ON THE RICHTER SCALE = 6 points
    4. AXEON 4.0 = 4 points
    5. SLAMMER VI = 3 points
    6. DELIRIUM TREMORS = 2 points
    7. EYE OF RAN II = 1 point
    8. O.I.D. = 0 points

No time to rest up, however, as we move on to Round 2!

THE VAPOURBOT GRAND PRIX 2010
    ROUND 2/10: THE DUTCH GRAND PRIX
    ARENA: Port PulverizeR

Our next battle takes our competitors to a quaint harbour yard by the Dutch coast. This arena is (mostly) sealed off and is a very busy place, if all the crates lying around are anything to go by. These crates are scaled down to the robots' size and can be used as cover, debris or even projectiles with the right approach. Watch out too for a couple of large puddles hidden among the boxes. The water will wetten your wheels and loosen your grip, so tread carefully.
    You may notice a large black cross in the arena centre. You may also notice a large yellow button at either side of the yard. Pressing either button will activate the Crane of Pain and send a heavy weight clattering down onto the cross. Mind your head!
    The arena's greatest dangers, however, are at the top and the bottom, each separated by a small ramp. At the top is a railway track where Dinsdale the Dockyard Diesel Shunter trundles back and forth all day long. Dinsdale is also scaled-down and fixed with cowcatchers, so our competitors don't have to worry about being run over - only about being shunted along the line and out of the arena!
    At the bottom are the harbour waters themselves. The bay is not deep enough to drown anyone but the absolutely lowest robots. It is, however, deep enough to fully soak a robot's wheels and potentially damage electronics. The harbour bed is also fairly slippery, making that bit harder to climb back out. I wouldn't recommend swimming for too long, or you might end up a dead duck.

Here's your poor Paint arena plan:

Have a good hard think about your tactics and I'll see you next time.

Hooway!

Hmm...quite a problematic arena, thanks to the crane, but I think I can swing it.

Menial but detailed tactics:

- use crates to my advantage; if an opponent comes in with a crate, spin and knock it aside, then attack
    - activate the crane at the start of the match, or wait if somebody has the same tactic
    - once crane is activated, stay near the button and wait for something to come near, then chomp into it and don't let go
    - if the crane is coming for me, then, depending how high it is, drive back and forth in the middle of the arena so as to avoid it AND the danger of the train tracks and harbour waters, or just avoid it if it's too low.

Or in general, use the tactics from last time. :P

Forge onward for more great battles, Steven!

Tactics for EoR II:

Spin up from the start, using mainly the same tactics as for the UK. This time, though, try and stay within the top right corner of the arena (away from the puddles, railway line, cross, and sea) and in the only other change from the UK tactics, hit a few crates in the general direction of other robots/melees if I can, at the speed the blade goes I should get some momentum on them and hopefully knock a few people into the water.

Best of luck everyone, here's to a w00ty battle

o.i.d's tactics

hmm, right this looks like quite a problematic arena, but i recon i can handle it, it looks quite reminiscent of a certain robot wars arena's of destruction arena...which i have been in many times (though virtualy :P)

anyway, o.i.d (after a rather terrible first round) is rather wound up and wants revenge so it's gonna be an all out slog for us, spin up from the start, get up to speed and start smashing things, id like to offer a team up with joey (seeing as we were both shoved down that bloody pit :P) until the others are destroyed/immobile/drowned? :P stake out the top corner of the arena but if that begins to look hostile and a: i cant fight my way out if i wait or b: somthing big is happening elsewhere that catches my eye/i could take advantage of then leg it :P

this is looking good so far mate, here's to another one (tho mabey a slightly better result )

jack

right...

its a home match but that does by no means secure victory... what I see is that this is an annihilator, which ensures chaos and a busy arena, which means the yellow buttons and the weapon thing that lands on the black cross have more use than in a normal 1 one 1 situation... keep a close eye on the arena, and, if I have no opponent directly on my hands at any point, and when I see robots on the black cross... BANG, hit that button

Right, but the above does not mean that I'll be passive, not at all... I'll be looking to push robots in the water, down the ramp. Make sure that my direct opponent is always between me and that water, and use my 6 wheels to push for all Im worth. I actually quite fancy the ramp, since me, having 6WD and therefor good traction, will have less troubles controlling myself while on a ramp than others, so there. Knock crates out of the way. I dont really see them have much advantage for me but I can easilly get rid of them when they are in my way.

O, and dont end up on the black cross

Register To Comment