Register To Comment
Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

yup, its an annual thing

It happened last year too;

Just thought id make it official this year

I need to move to New Zealand so I can get in the ring and take that heavy trophy off your hands next year Dave

Or just build a drum. Think we're going to have to segregate the beaters and let them duel it out among themselves. Drums are the original and best. We were just being kind letting Shiny in

At least I can take pride in being the first ever drum-off winner last year, even if I didn't build myself a trophy for it

LOL, The only reason we have a 'Drum Off' is because having a 'Beat Off' or a 'Flip Off' isn't a politically correct thing to announce over the PA system.

We've had Boner announced over the PA for a few years, I'm sure our audiences are somewhat de-sensitised

Im not sure having a trophy with "beat off champion" on it is the kinda thing anyone would put on there mantle piece...

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    We've had Boner announced over the PA for a few years, I'm sure our audiences are somewhat de-sensitised
    Well that's a relief, I was afraid my plans for a new flipper design named Giant Trouser Snake would cause offence.

Update

Trying to keep a bit of momentum going with regards to the robots. Normally take a break after weeks of building and the high of an event (and the subsequent low of an event finishing) but having a robot that still works and just needs a few small mods gives you the necessary boost to get it all back up to full health quickly.

So, a bit of analysis of the damage. Most of the damage was done to the armour (doing its job then), with a little to the front aluminium and base. The welds broke on one side of the armour, but considering I was welding them with a dodgy welding mask and squinting through two pairs of sunglasses, I wasn't surprised that they suffered. Easy enough to fix:

The vapourised tooth of the drum. This was the one that suffered most in a contra-rotating impact between Drumroll and Galactus, but I think he came off worse

The teeth this year seemed to wear a lot more than the old ring drum, despite being a harder material. After having watched back some footage and looking at the old drum again, part of it is due to the force of the impacts nowadays and part of it is due to the shape of the teeth. The teeth that suffered the worst were the two that were involved in the biggest impacts (the other two are alright). The old drum teeth were also shaped in such a way that they had more material below the radius of the tooth, meaning that when they chipped or blunted, there was more material underneath the leading edge to cope with the impact and therefore more material remaining when I re-ground them. But with the current teeth, the material curves away from the leading edge meaning that when they blunt and suffer impacts, there's less remaining material as it gets less and less as it approaches the ring section and the edge taking the impact is more prone to compressing. Reading that back I have no idea if it makes sense, but I know what I mean :P
    I've managed to ground all the teeth into rough tooth shapes again, even the one pictured to a reasonable degree so there's still a bit of life in the drum yet.

Or is there.....

The remains of one of the bearings in the drum. I already knew that it was partially knackered as I had to pick out five rollers at the event due to damage, but it's clearly got worse. It most likely explains the fuse blowing in the drum-off and Gladiator event; took a few big hits in the drum-off which probably exacerbated the damage, leading to a higher resistance in the weapon setup, resulting in the brushless motor pulling a higher continuous current and causing the fuse to blow. Didn't spot it between the drum-off and the Gladiator, so the problem was bound to re-occur.

I'll need to see if I can get the roller cage, or the complete bearing, out and replace it or whether this'll become an expensive paperweight. Either way I've got plans in mind with regards to a new drum that would deal better with blunting teeth.

The damage caused by Little Nipper. Missed all the components but varied the shape of the baseplate a bit:

Easy enough to bend back with a hammer, but might look into ti as an alternative.
    The maintenance required for Banebots wheels is getting a bit silly as well (WD-40 or white spirit with a dishwashing sponge in between fights) and combined with the lack of replacement Banebots nowadays, I wanted to go back to bike tyre. Thought about getting aluminium plates cut with a 3/4" hex in it to go over the motor hub that HDPE wheels could bolt onto, to which I could then screw some bike tyre to. Then had the brainwave of just using the existing Banebots wheels, so had to strip the tyre material off of those:

And then screw some bike tyre tread onto them. Job done, simples:

Can't decide if I'm 100% happy with them yet though as it increases the ground clearance a bit more (the treads are thicker than the Banebots material was), might still go for HDPE/ali versions if it means I can get them closer to the 3-7/8" Banebots size. But either way, they'll be a lot less maintenance intensive.
    Last edited by RogueTwoRobots; 27th April 2015 at 21:16.

Also picked up the claw from Reaver and thought, 'I wonder how strong the welds are on this' and tried to pull it apart. It broke easily :P
    But as I don't see too much future in the current Reaver (bang on the weight limit, no srimech etc) I figured that I may as well go from one feeble crusher back to another. May be time to give this little critter a rebuild and run-out again:

Register To Comment