Register To Comment
Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

Update

Been doing a little work to Flatulence over the past couple of days. It's been sitting for about a year needing its armour completed and I've been putting it off for ages because I expected it to be fiddly and annoying to do.

I was right, but got it done eventually. It's quite thin, at 2mm, but seems reasonably strong. The bottom half is 4mm HDPE which will stand up to the spinners a bit better, but I'm fully expecting all of it to take a beating. At least it completes the look a bit more. Ignore the multiple fail-holes where the armour layers meet:

Currently weighs 1083g so got just under 500g for....stuff. The only thing I want to do is replace the ali flipper plate with a steel one with triangle wedges at the front to finish the shape off and offer some protection. Will also need to stick something on the top of the flipper plate to help it self-right as it only rolls halfway over before getting stuck.

I'll never expect this to be a serious contender as I started building it two years ago and since then, despite not even having an event yet, beetleweights have already stepped up a level. But if nothing else, it's good fun to play with

Cheers Harry. The servo's just plugged into the receiver, which is getting a 6V, 5A feed from the BEC. Was originally using the BEC in one of the Botbitz ESCs but it was underpowered, especially since it's a beast of a servo. All good now though

Are you going to finish the BW Drumroll?

Probably at some point down the line, yeah. Not with that chassis though, would make a new one out of some thicker/more rigid material, and need to get a smaller diameter brushless as I planned to have the current one pressed into the drum tube, but I couldn't get a tube with a suitable ID so just plan to revert to a pulley transmission.

Update

Well it's finished, paint and all:

Happy with it weighing in at 1.35kg. After several attempts at different attachments in order to get it to self-right - and getting nowhere - I eventually resorted to hacking the servo for 360° rotation, allowing the flipper arm to travel further back, turning the robot back onto its wheels. The downside is that I had to cut away some of the back armour which now spoils the look a little, but functionality over image!

A lot of the wiring was pretty exposed due to that too so I've redone it all, doing away with the connector block and just splicing all the wires together where needed, and have been able to pack it down to protect it more. Finally, needed a bit of protection on the insides when the flipper is up and still had to add an LED, so bazinga:

So that's that for Flatulence just now. Need to get some practice in controlling the flipper as going to 360° completely changes the dynamic of operating it, but nothing else apart from that to do

Love it

Need to put it on a spring action trigger, either rudder on the remote or use a DPDT switch like I do, middle as neutral, full power either way.

It's on the rudder channel already, it's just that I've been used to flipping a switch and letting go when it was set up like a normal servo on the throttle channel, where it would stop when it reaches its limits. Now I just need to familiarise myself with the new fire and retract movements, especially for quick, repetitive flips as I don't want to hold it too long in one direction or other and have the flipper either travel too far for a quick reset/attack or be stalling the motor too long at the ends of travel.

It's not challenging, it's just to get comfortable with it so I don't have to think about it when in the arena.

Register To Comment