Register To Comment
Page 66 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

Update

Started looking at swapping out the axe drill motor for the 300W scooter motor. Finally managed to get the existing sprocket off the motor (turns out I was grabbing the wrong bit) so first step was to see what the damage would be:

Lose 900g at the same time as fitting a chugging great big (and more powerful) motor? Challenge accepted!

Next step was working out how to try and fit it in to the existing interior layout. I thought a lot of stuff would have to be rejigged, including the drives, but simply by cutting one of the bulkheads in half (saving 370g) I was able to bolt it in at the back.

Weight distribution still seems good; the motor weighs 2.2kg and the 5mm steel scoop at the front is probably a similar amount, so the kilos are well spread over the drive wheels. That's all I managed to get done on it today (forgot to take a picture with the motor fitted) but I did have a cheeky little test of it. Here it's running on a 5:1 ratio at 18.5V(ish), so theoretical rpm at the axe shaft should be around 385rpm, not taking losses into account, so almost four times as fast as the old drill motor setup. It's just a short video as I was doing a direct connection to the battery and promptly soiled myself (not literally) when it fired.

I'm particularly loving the air time it gets, which is more noticeable in the slow-mo replay. I think when it's fully under RC again, it'll be crazy when it fires, which will look immense. Not fussed about damage, although I expect it to do more now, but as long as it has epic spasms, I'm happy. Just taking wagers now on what will break next. Already eliminated the first source (drill motor) so I expect either the chain to be a regular snapper or the sprocket on the motor to strip teeth or break its welds (not much boss left on it).

Great improvments so far. Best of luck shaving the 900 grams

I saw it on Facebook, its a beasty

Weighs 13.5kg in this video, all that's left to go back on is armour, which currently weighs 600g. Still haven't done any weight-saving though and I can downgrade some of the armour, so I reckon it'll all be fine. Enjoy

That's got some serious kick, wow! I'd prefer not be under it when it fires now, damn...

great vid, that does look like its got a good bit of power

like the video, do you have a job !!!!!
    looks really good motor still looks abit loose on mounts possibly lots of flex in video, cant wait to have an axe off some time soon if I ever get round to fixing my cracked chassis thanks to ls4
    good job

Thanks guys. Yeah the motor looks a bit loose (especially at the bit when the axe head gets stuck) but it's solidly bolted into the machine; the flex is coming from the polycarb baseplate. Hopefully it's strong enough for the job, but with enough flex so as to absorb the forces when the arm hits.

Definitely up for an axe-off (get Little Hitter and Asgard in there too), got more chance of the axe bot still running after an event than I do with Drumroll (a drum-off will take place one of these days!)

Just uploaded a couple more photos, just to better show the interior with the motor fitted:

It's absolutely mahoosive in relation to all the other components. The drive is a little bit squiffy at the moment though; not sure if that's to do with the 2.2kg of motor being off-centered or the fact that I've got two different speedos controlling it (had to switch one of the drive Victors onto the scooter motor and use the 25A Botbitz from the old axe drill motor for the drive). Will probably fit TZ85s for all three channels soon so will see what happens when that's done and everything's properly bolted back together again.

Register To Comment