Register To Comment
Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

looking good

i still have 2 cybots as well did you build the other robot too, looked like a vacum cleaner???

this is completely un related to your build but where did u get that solder from in one of your pics???

alex

Yeah the other one was called 'Tom' (points for originality)
    I started building it, but for some reason I missed issue 74, which contained the first driver board, and so I couldn't attach all the subsequent boards until I had that one, but I never did end up getting it. I didn't have the magazines on subscription, I just got them set aside at my local WH Smith but for some reason, nothing ever arrived after issue 85. A bit gutted that I spent all that only to fall 11 issues short, but having said that, the robots have been sitting up in the loft for the past four years (at least) so it's not like I used them frequently. Not since I got my first combat robot working anyway

The roll of solder was given to me by someone who delivered supplies to my dad's work. I think the company was Kilburn Electronics or something (based in Paisley) and he said that it was a freebie, just as long as I whack a wee sticker on my robot with his company's name on it. But this was back in 2002 or something and a) I din't have a robot built until 2004 and b) my dad moved to a different job soon after. So yeah, a free, big-ass roll of solder of which I've only used about half so far

Update - It's allliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvee

I'm a happy chappy; managed to give Drumroll II a quick test drive tonight and it is unbelievably nippy. Was only doing it in my room so I couldn't get a decent shot of it driving in a straight line, but the spins on the spot illustrate how fast this thing is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8sYpLRwM

And the best thing is, that was only on one battery pack and therefore half the voltage
    Chances are though it will be nigh uncontrollable running on its full voltage so I'll probably have to crack out the dual rates and exponential setting.

So as you can see, the basic chassis has now been bolted together:

The good news is that it's square (give or take a millimetre or two) and very solid. Not weighed it on its own yet but if the end product is overweight there is room for weight loss. Still need to take a cut out for the belt to pass through for the drum which, along with mounting the brushless motor, will wait until the drum is fitted so I can get everything lined up properly.

Couple of holes in the sides to accommodate the drill motors:

And fit some home-made wheels:

Add a receiver, battery and wire it up:

And it was good to roll. It likes to wheelie (which will be eliminated with the weight of the drum and possible hardox outer armour) and I can't help but feel that, with the chunky wheels, it looks a little Tanto-esque at the moment

Anyway I'm pretty pleased with how quickly it's come together - it's taken a few days but only working a couple of hours a day. Still plenty to do on it but having it driving this early on means I can get plenty of practice in. Shouldn't need too much though, as the Scorpion provides some precise control. I still rate Electronize controllers but daaamn, the XL is nice

Hi Jamle,

Haven't had chance to sort out your esc yet. Might have another pressie for you though...

Whats the height of the inside of the chassis? Just wondering if 360s old disc gearbox and motor will fit inside...

No probs Dave. The way it's looking at the moment, I'd probably struggle to fit it inside! The current controller is almost right up against the drill motor when the casing of my electronics box is on. But I'd still be happy to give it a bash.

Another pressie?! It's not Christmas yet
    Inside height of the chassis is 85mm. Just been looking back at some pics of your old gearbox to imagine if it would fit but can't quite judge it by eye.

it's looking awsome so far :wink:

Looking good Jamie, nice and solid and chunky Just wondering how those plates are actually fitted together ? Is it tapped Nylon ? Oh, and those wheels look good, I don't suppose you have any of that tyre material left ? That looks just right for what I want to put on Satanix's wheels (the current ones make transistion a bit bumpy)

Thanks guys. The chassis is 15mm thick RG1000 (which is a regenerated grade of UHMWPE, very similar properties but cheaper) from Direct Plastics. In short, it is now my favourite form of plastic as it feels like Nylon but cuts like HDPE
    It's all drilled and tapped together, 5mm high-tensile bolts. Only got 8 bolts in there so far just to get it together but there will be a few more added here and there.

That tyre is basically your standard mountain bike tyre but I picked it up from the local skip and it is a bit worn down, but that's quite good because it means the profile is quite flat across the way yet still has a good deal of grip. Would probably be ideal to eliminate the bumpiness in Satanix. I've got over half a bike wheel's worth left and while I want to keep a bit spare, there should be enough for a pair of Satanix' wheels. PM me your address and the diameter of your wheels (or the length of the current pieces) and I'll cut some and pop it in the post for you.

Register To Comment