Register To Comment
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 360 - mini hypnodisc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, been working on the selfwrighter for 360 so thought id show a few pictures of it. thanks to Ed wallace for helping us out with the cnc work when his boss wasnt looking lol

Firsto of, heres the space i had to cram everythin into, decided an astroflight 25 with a 450:1 gearbox should be able to do the job on 14.8v hopefully

quick sketch of what's needed

abit of cad on the cnc

A block off alumec 89 machined into the ruff shape and size of the gearbox

pocket done in the block big enough for the gears bearings and motor mountings etc

some of the gears fitted. decided to go for a 900:1 reduction via worm gears then steped back up to 450:1 on the final stage of spurr's.. i know worms arnt the most efficient form of transmition, but its only a selfwrighter so shouldnt matter to much

decided to put a potentiometer on the gearbox so it will have some sort of feedback to the H5 driving it (effectivly making the selfwrighter a big servo, the pot is the red thing spaced out from the back plate- the axle for the spur gear 3rd stage pokes out the back of the gearbox and will have nylon gears connecting it to the pot- when i order them from HPC lol this pic also shows the final weight of the gearbox

and finaly the gearbox and motor in the robot- tight squeeze but its in there.. just need the spur gears for the pot and the arm finnishing off (already made- it weighs about 50grams, just needs spark eroding)

Just need to re-wire it now- it looks a state in those pics.

Damage from NST was only a broken belt really and a ding in the drum... was really happy with how it stood up in all honesty... it did its job and it won

however, when the belt got pulled of- it yanked on the motor shaft and bent the shaft very slightly... would still work...but i want to engineer out the weak point for next year, i will be totaly re-making the front end of brushless motor, changing the shaft from 5mm to 10mm and supporting it from the other side on bearings soon enough.

Id also like to keyway the pulley onto the shaft rather then just a grubscrew which kept coming loose.

360's disc worked well... but the upgrade to 6s has meant it kept cutting out... so the scorpion xxl will be going, and some botbitz will be going in.

720's fights

360 demo (drive kept cutting out- do'h)

Designed a new front plate for the motor which keys into the motor can and acts as a mounting also, its held on with 6 bolts now as aposed to 3, ive also knocked out the shaft and made a larger diamater one which ill finnish of soon...

The front plate also has holes for the new M8 as aposed to the original M5 mounting holes, so i can tighten it right up;

next step is to put a keyway on it, and assemble it fully- theres no rotor internally in this picture... then ill be putting a support bearing in the bulkhead of 720 and mounting a new pulley to the shaft... i cant see this new assembly falling apart.

Old shaft next to it for referance... Thanks to Dennis for machining the aluminium.

What does the faceplate mount onto in the can? Just wondering how you managed to double the amount of bolts from 3 to 6. Or was there enough 'meat' in there for you to just tap out 3 more?

Looks good though! Are you going to support the rear of the motor also?

With that amount of support there will be little need to mount the motor rear. Nice looking bit of ali that

It seems that in the more extreme cases all brushless could do with a bit of work to make em more robust.

I would happily pay to have that mod done to the brushless that is going in Conker 3, cos then I would be almost certain that it would never break! Still cant choose between the Sensored Inrunner or the standard Outrunner...

Which would you have?

http://teamnovak.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=459

OR

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...5/HK-4035-800/

Both would do the same top speed and the sensored element should allow the in-runner to match the spin up time of the out-runner despite it having less torque.

PJ- theres not much point in supporting the back, as theres no shock going through it, the 6 bolts on the front are only to stop the can falling of through vibration now really... as the shaft will be supported on both sides, all the force just goes into the bearings...having said that i might be putting an armour mounting plate in that kind of area anyhow so i might kill 2 birds with one stone just to stop the motor ever being able to fall apart even if all the bolts should fall out.

Alex- id probably go with the scorpion just because its a good motor out of the box.... and just because a motors an in runner... doesnt mean the spinup time will be pants... look at 720/galactus for examples of that.

If your going to the trouble of getting your bulkheads machined from alu like you showed me before- id suggest making your mounting for the motor the same as the one i made for 360 ages ago... so it supports the entire front cap of the motor, with its own bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
    Alex- id probably go with the scorpion just because its a good motor out of the box.... and just because a motors an in runner... doesnt mean the spinup time will be pants... look at 720/galactus for examples of that.

If your going to the trouble of getting your bulkheads machined from alu like you showed me before- id suggest making your mounting for the motor the same as the one i made for 360 ages ago... so it supports the entire front cap of the motor, with its own bearing.
    I knew it wasn't going to be pants but I get your meaning. I am intending to have them done out of Al, though I am having support issues at them moment. The 2mm Ti 2 base doesn't seem to be thick enough to stop what is mounted to it from twisting. I will get some images up after the hand in on Thursday. [Might have to go thicker or pay out for grade 5/6 Ti]
    Do you have any shots of the mount on 360, just so I know what I am aiming for?

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...pnodisc/page19

push the shaft out and put a larger dia one in, pretty easy to do theres probably online guides on how to do it.

Register To Comment