Register To Comment
Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 360 - mini hypnodisc

Well, been working on the selfwrighter for 360 so thought id show a few pictures of it. thanks to Ed wallace for helping us out with the cnc work when his boss wasnt looking lol

Firsto of, heres the space i had to cram everythin into, decided an astroflight 25 with a 450:1 gearbox should be able to do the job on 14.8v hopefully

quick sketch of what's needed

abit of cad on the cnc

A block off alumec 89 machined into the ruff shape and size of the gearbox

pocket done in the block big enough for the gears bearings and motor mountings etc

some of the gears fitted. decided to go for a 900:1 reduction via worm gears then steped back up to 450:1 on the final stage of spurr's.. i know worms arnt the most efficient form of transmition, but its only a selfwrighter so shouldnt matter to much

decided to put a potentiometer on the gearbox so it will have some sort of feedback to the H5 driving it (effectivly making the selfwrighter a big servo, the pot is the red thing spaced out from the back plate- the axle for the spur gear 3rd stage pokes out the back of the gearbox and will have nylon gears connecting it to the pot- when i order them from HPC lol this pic also shows the final weight of the gearbox

and finaly the gearbox and motor in the robot- tight squeeze but its in there.. just need the spur gears for the pot and the arm finnishing off (already made- it weighs about 50grams, just needs spark eroding)

Just need to re-wire it now- it looks a state in those pics.

So you've got a sexily machined gearbox and motor setup for your self-righter, and I'm currently considering a £7 motor from eBay Hong Kong for Drumroll's self-righter - I feel so dirty

If I remember correctly, the rear wheels have a higher Shore value than the front wheels so they're not as grippy and can slide around the arena. But if you've seen 360 in an arena, the rear wheels are hardly ever on the floor

Marien, this highlights the movement of 360 (posted on behalf of Dave)

finally got it done then

what sort of selfrighter are you thinking of Jamie?

Thanks for the comments

- The reason it doesnt have omni wheels is because

A) the heavyweight version didnt
    B) there to small and fidly to make..

There exposed wheels so have to be abit robust.. there made from some choping board plastic i got, i think mike from team pressure is the guy who has it, its like a nylon/hdpe.. wierd stuff.

They slide nicely to the left or right but do give abit of grip when pushing.. They didnt originaly, but since they got made ive driven it around on tarmac etc and its ruffed the surface up and they seem to have abit of grip now.

I spoke to someone else about making omni wheels.. but due to the fact that the weel itself needs an overall diamater of 63mm.. the axle for each roller would only be somthing stupid like 2mm, so not really robust enough to withstand a good hit from another robot driving into it at a good speed.

Next mods planned- carbon fibre battery cover's.. the arm needs finnishing off, ill put pics up next week if it gets done, and the chassis needs stripping down and re-welding.. as most the welds on the front have poped.

I might also get a new dx3 with on board telemtry etc. will be able to monitor disc rev's, motor temp and lipo voltage from the digital display on the tx.

Abit more progress

Managed to track down a brand new 12v H5 controller from Paul Cooper, For those who dont know what a H5 is- there speed controllers developed by George Francis (Chaos 2) that can also be used as a servo driver. (visible here in vortex- team storms fw) http://www.teamstorm.com/feathers/vortex.htm

So ive got a blown up 24v and a brand new 12v version... and i need to run on 15v...
    Luckily Dave Gamble (Team tornado) offered to modify them both to run between 13-17v and fix the broken one aswell as updating there programming. aswell as looking into making me a lithium low voltage cut off circuit.

Did abit of work today,

Machined a copper bar down to make an electrode for spark eroding a square whole on the drive shaft of the selfwrighter, firstly machined it down to exactly 8mm;

Then milled 4 flats on it to creat a square shaft

Then it got put into the collet of the spark eroder and left over night sparking a square whole 9mm deep into the selfwrighting bar, Decided due to its small size that a square bar drive would be best... especialy as theres alot of tourque going into it and its only holding ali on- didnt want the inside of the ali gettin chewed up.

will update tomorow when its done

Register To Comment