Register To Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinner Energy

Elsewhere on the FRA site, you may have seen that Im working with James Baker on some guidelines for Spinning Weapons. We have a neat way of assessing the Kinetic Energy in your designs which shows how fast we would let you run. We only need to make a crude assessment of Style (mass distribution) + measured figs for actual Mass & Dia.

Now, at present the FRA are NOT sanctioning use of spinners except under controlled conditions in Class 2 arenas. James and I want to set sensible rules that will allow more spinners, albiet with a limit on permissible rpm.

We suggest that you start designing them with alternative drive systems - one geared down for live events, and another geared up for serious combat. You never know, the reduced spin-up time with a low ratio might even be an advantage ! Please note, that we do not anticipate permitting electronic speed limiters (but would allow reduced voltage).

We need to collect as much data as possible to decide where we should set the level for different arenas. For example we believe the most aggressive spinner is up at around 38KJ, with the most well know in the region of 16KJ, and Feathers peaking at 5-6KJ.

We have some experience of 6KJ in Jonnos arena, and want to collect as much additional info as poss to help establish challanging, but manageable poower limits.

Please post details here, or if you dont want to go public, then send them direct to me or James.

We would like to see Basic Dimensions of the spinning element plus its Mass and anticipated RPM. If you have a calculation for KE - then please post that as well.

Thanks,
    Kevin S

Strip - Feather weight - 3.5Kg disc
    3500rpm
    Diameter 500mm - mass equally distributed apart from two 0.25kg teeth on outer edge.

Jonno
    http://www.roamingrobots.co.ukwww.roamingrobots.co.uk
    http://www.ukinnovations.co.ukwww.ukinnovations.co.uk

Big Daddy- Featherweight- (revised disc from my profile pic) 2kg Bar at 3000rpm, 500mm dia, vertical
    with 0.8kg mallets at the end of each side.

revolutionroger
    Think I can be of a little help here;
    Vortex generates 3KJ of kinetic energy
    Strip produces 8KJ of kinetic energy (@3500rpm)

Rough figures based on info above

Looking at Strip and votex I think those figures sound wrong but what to I know. I dont know how to work it out either, but I do know that 90% of the mass of vortexs disc is on the rim and strips is evenly distrbuted. Going off the size of the discs i would say if the speeds are true they are very even in power. I wouldnt say that its 2.5 times the power of vortex.

Prove me wrong.

revolutionroger
    Does look wrong doesnt it? But it isnt (based on the figures above (assuming Jonnos can actually do 3,500rpm)

It has to be remembered that KE is proportional to the SQUARE of velocity. (KE=1/2MV^2)

Unlike Momentum which is directly proportional to velocity (P=MV)

Since Kinetic Energy is proportional to the Square of the Velocity, this means that a Mass traveling at 2 metres per second has 4 times the Kinetic Energy of the Same Mass travelling at 1 Metre per second, Even though it only has double the momentum.

Perhaps measurements should be compared in terms of momentum (Kgm/s) and not Kinetic Energy (KJ)?

Anyone please feel free to correct me on any of this, I am by no means skilled in this field.

Roger.

revolutionroger
    Sorry, yes KE=1/2MV^2 is for mass in a straight line - didnt mean for anyone to use it as it will not calculate KE of rotating mass - but does clearly show how KE differs from Momentum which is how most people think.

Register To Comment