Register To Comment
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinner Energy

revolutionroger
    The only other way that you could measure a disks stored energy would be to measure the work required to accelerate the disk to a fixed velocity over a fixed time. Havent thought this through yet, but once a formula is thought out and equipment set up, measuring a new disk would simply be like balancing a wheel.

Not saying its easier, but should be more accurate, and require only the initial effort as opposed to having to take each disk from scratch, and as you say calculating each change of shape/part as you would have to. This may be easier for one or two, but over time still being laborious.

Dont have all the answers.
    Roger

revolutionroger
    Many thanks to you Joseph for reinforcing the difference in KE between Vortex and strip (though not quite as extreme as I got - But probably much more acurately) I feel vindicated.

Geoff - Fantastic find - Everything needed, and by your component method.

Ed - Hope you are not too dissapointed in the KE produced by Vortex - Vortex speaks for itself. (compliment).

Roger.

while finishing my final degree project.... which was to design a new robot arena, i went through all of the sums.

Ill have to pop into uni and pick up the report, but as far as i can remember it is very difficult to work out the ke,

You have to know what the time taken for the disc at full speed to decelerate to nothing in Milliseconds is )

Then you put that into a formula with the other values and hey presto, you have a value.

They do the same for crash tests and if you look in the books, they use experimental method to determine the time.

I will look it out.

jonno

Register To Comment