Register To Comment
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    Going to Burgess Hill was a bit of a faff, it is 5 hours one way (and nearly 9 coming home, I was exhausted) but got there in a relatively good amount of time. Charged the batteries and tightened down the bolts before technical check, which it passed fairly easily. I was on the same bench as Backflip, a fellow MW competitor and compared to that, Jibril is positively tiny, half the length easily me thinks.

Anyway, given that there were only two of us, we checked the board and noticed we weren't on it at all so we spoke to the FW guys if they would be happy with us coming into their first melee of each show, which they all seemed quite happy with. You'd have thought the weight difference would have been key here... hahhahahaahahhaahhahaa... no.

The wheelspinning issue killed Jibril easily in the first melee. I couldn't get moving before Explosion came in and flipped me. I tried self righting but the axe wasn't playing ball and I don't think it had enough power anyway. This, of course, bent the axe. I tried to fix it but it wasn't coming back into line.

The second melee, I managed to get started but lacked the capacity to get moving properly and when it came to a pushing match, the lack of traction, despite me cutting grooves into the rubber to help meant this time, I ended up in the pit with Backflip on top of me.

After the show, I managed to get a bit of arena time to shuttle it around the floor to see if I could iron out the problem but after 30 seconds or so, the drive ESC stopped working. The error lights suggests a bad receiver so I'll put a new one in and see what that does but put simply, it did not go very well at all. With the long drives, the lack of traction and the axe still not firing right, it felt like a loooooooonnnnnnngggg day. I still had a laugh being there but if I do go back to Burgess Hill, it's a full weekend or nothing.

Next one is EXR Portsmouth, which is only marginally closer. I cannot do the Sunday that day either so either I miss it or I get someone to come with me to share in the driving. I also need to finish off the axe and get the axe head cut, which should help with the weight distribution which I think is the issue here.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

The M42/M6 junction was closed off when I got there so had to go up the A449/A38 to get back on, which didn't help. There was a hold up on the M25 by Heathrow as well but nothing particularly bad.

I just wish Jibril worked in the melees, felt a bit disheartening to see it not move or use the axe properly in both fights. Still, the big motor is to go in yet, that should help.

Team Kaizen

You should see me at both, they are the "local" events to me.

Team Kaizen

Ikari
    So Ikari 2.0 is probably best known for dying due to spinners. At both Ant Freeze 6 and BotFest 2, the robot has come apart in fashion due to horizontal spinners and I've been trying to figure out how to prevent this again for Ikari 3.0. First things first, 3.0 is going to be a horizontal spinner itself, 1.0 was a horizontal itself, 2.0 was me trying something new.

For 3.0, I think what I'll do is get some 15mm HDPE and cut out a ring chassis by hand with a Dremel and a Jigsaw (I have plenty from the original Kaizen build) and then get some 1mm polycarbonate to sandwich top and bottom to make a shell, likely hollowing the ring chassis out with drill holes where I can to save weight. This is how I built Kaizen and Jibril and whilst not always the most effective robots overall, they are at least durable. Ikari will feature a 70W brushless motor which I already have and a proper bar this time.

Jibril
    I've soldered up a EC8 connector and put the original front lid on with the original axe drive gear on to see how well the Ampflow works with the Axe ESC. Suffice to say, it works very well, seems to be less twitchy with the Ampflow than the CIM. What I will do though is put the Axe on its own controller as so to eliminate any potential issues with the controller interfering.

If all else fails, I'll put a wedge on the front and call it a spinner. :P The noise from the gearing is most impressive. Next thing to do is get the gear and the axe shaft drilled. Might outsource this on the grounds of expediency to a machine shop so at least it is done. The Scythe Axe head I need to speak to a metal cutter about - would anyone be able to draw me up a CAD drawing based on a diagram I give them?

EXR Portsmouth is next but I've also signed up for the Shrewsbury event in May with Shu! and Azriel, neither of which are built yet so they'll be the main focus of my attention for this month. All the electrical components for Shu! are still around and working, Azriel needs a weapon and both need shells. Fun month ahead. :P

Team Kaizen

The Honey Badger
    I mooted a while ago about making The Honey Badger a Beetleweight. Annoyingly, the other Beetleweights I had planned won't be ready in time to go to Shrewsbury so I've decided to go flip around a few things. The Honey Badger 4.0 will now be a Beetleweight and I'll move Azriel to the Featherweight category. Shu! will remain a Beetleweight but as I say, the rebuild of that robot is very unlikely to make it in time for the event though I'll try.

Anyway, I always liked the 2.0 variant of The Honey Badger (the one that got blown apart at EXR Manchester 201 so 4.0 is build to more or less the same design. Unlike the predecessor, this one will have a functioning weapon in the form of a lifting arm. If all else fails, self righting mechanism. :P The base is already rolling at 480g with a pair of 30:1 motors running on 4S LiPo which makes it quite rapid. The shell is currently being built and then I'll fit the weapon but if I keep at it, no reason why it couldn't be finished this week.

Team Kaizen

Update time yet again!

The Honey Badger
    The robot is now ready to go to Shrewsbury! It has taken longer than I would have liked owing to delays in real life but here it is. Like 2.0, it is a fairly typical wedge design but 4.0 has a couple of improvements over 2.0 with wedge hooks and a polycarbonate scraper which 2.0 didn't have. Armour is 4mm polycarbonate and HDPE.

I still intend to fit a self righting mechanism to this but I've yet to weigh it, probably 1.3kg. Even if I don't get time to fit it, I'll run it like this.

Azriel
    So with The Honey Badger 4.0 now a Beetleweight, I've moved Azriel to the Featherweight class. I've got a rolling base with a couple of old Gimson 13.7:1 motors from Kaizen. The next thing to do there is build a body and fit a weapon onto it. I had ummed and ahhed about taking it to RoboDojo but I am unlikely to make it. Still, got time before EXR Portsmouth or Guildford.

Jibril
    The axe gear and shaft have been drilled so they'll be refitted over the rest of the week. I am also expecting a pickaxe head to come so I'll cut that down to size and then fit that for Portsmouth while I figure out how to CAD up a Scythe axe head. I have one done but I am not sure if it is any good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    The past week or so has been getting the robot ready for EXR Portsmouth. The pickaxe head has arrived and with any luck should be going to the engineers to have the head shortened a little so it isn't dragging on the floor. The side armour is now on as well so it looks a bit more in keeping with what Kaizen looked like, though this time the armour is well and truly bolted on, not hung on so it might last a bit longer this time.

I probably will made an adjustment to the front beam so the axe can go lower (might just get that done at Portsmouth if anyone is bringing a grinder) but as far as remaining jobs go, it is get the axehead on, tether fitted, locking pin guides in and paint.

Scarrosaki
    Looking good, been nice reading back through the diary of Jibril coming along after seeing it at BotFest!

Hopefully get to fight it some day

Register To Comment