Register To Comment
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

Amai/Ikari/Osu
    So the trio went to BotFest. Since I was the one running the event, I had a friend drive the three of them in the fights. I mentioned this previously but I had decided before this event that this would be Osu's last stint in a major competition because I don't really want to lose the robot to a spinner and it is at least recognisable.Osu did as you might expect although it generally did OK, it didn't really fail in any way, just was very ineffective. Still, it went through the event with mishap.

Ikari
    faced a horizontal spinner (I think this might have been Stolen Concept) and was consequently blown apart again. I am pleased to say that it wasn't the shell so much this time, that stayed together but the way it was fixed into the robot via small blocks of pine wood split. The problem with Ikari was the lack of control. This was likely a damaged ESC from Ant Freeze 6 which I simply didn't have time to sort out so consequently, could only move in circles. This was meant to have been a spinner and I want another crack at building one, so I might spend some time later in the year rebuilding this one.

Amai continues to be the proverbial star of this little trio, it won a single fight in the event (I can't recall who this was with at the moment) but lost quite a few, especially in the 2v2 side competition of the event. The slab sided nature of this robot means that it got itself beached on its side and back a few times. Given it is hideously underweight by 35g or so, I might transfer the servo from Ikari to Amai to make a lifter and gain a self righting capability.

So Osu 3.0 and Ikari 3.0 is something I'll work on when I get time over the spring/summer. Osu will probably still be a pusherbot but Ikari will definitely be a spinner again, I have a new 70W motor to replace the damaged 60W one from the original incarnation.

Jibril
    I took Jibril to show off at BotFest as well. Got a nice reaction despite the obviously unfinished state it is in. This week it is purely this robot I am focusing on because I am not letting months of hard work aiming for RL Burgess Hill to miss the event when it is so close. A new issue cropped up in that the temporary front panel is set just a little bit too far back so the rear panel isn't sitting flush on the box section steel but that is a simple adjustment of the 4 bolt holes in the polycarbonate to make it sit a little further forwards.

A test drive finally took place and I am pleased to report that Jibril will move as least as fast as Kaizen did and that was pretty fast comparatively compared to the other Middleweights at the championships last year. I've not driven it at full power owing to a issue with wheelspinning but at this stage, I am simply glad it moves. Using it in the arena will help with traction as the wheel flattens out.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Jibril did look impressively fast... despite the obvious wheel spin, that's quite the machine you have there, and the axe mechanism looks beefy as all hell.

And I believe it was Stolen Concept that did the damage, and you weren't the only one, I jpked about Wej surviving but closer inspection has revealed several cracks and almost every panel plus the servo and a wheel are pretty chewed... it almost folded in half yesterday while I inspected it, it's quite a beastly spinner.

And I never realised Amai was so underweight , I thought I was light at 17g under...

Team Kaizen

Jibril did look impressively fast... despite the obvious wheel spin, that's quite the machine you have there, and the axe mechanism looks beefy as all hell.
    Thanks. Obviously, that was wasn't full power either (and won't be doing it again in a church hall, that is for sure). When the wheels become a bit wider in the tread, it will be very, very quick. The axe, when it works, is much better than the last attempt and that is before the 2.3hp motor goes in so... yeah... fun times ahead!

And I believe it was Stolen Concept that did the damage, and you weren't the only one, I jpked about Wej surviving but closer inspection has revealed several cracks and almost every panel plus the servo and a wheel are pretty chewed... it almost folded in half yesterday while I inspected it, it's quite a beastly spinner.
    Oof, unlucky. Yeah, very much a beastly spinner though Death in the afternoon looked quite mean as well.

And I never realised Amai was so underweight , I thought I was light at 17g under...
    I think Amai is 116g or something, way underweight. If I had built it a little more cleverly, I could have had a Fleaweight rather than an Antweight :P

Cue an update.

Jibril
    The top panel was adjusted so that the rear panel now fits flush. The tether is installed, though it isn't neat, it is one of those things that "will do" for the RL Burgess Hill event. Locking pin in and metal tip on the Scythe now fitted, the last two things to do is the battery cage and the paintwork. The cage I'll be working on tonight and the paintwork during the week. I'll also see about planing off the drive wheels a little to make it grab traction a little better. The wooden floor at RL Burgess Hill should mean it will work there but for EXR Portsmouth, which is metal, I am hoping the wheels will have worn enough to allow for better traction.
    Getting really excited for the Saturday now...
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 10th June 2019 at 16:57.

Was Death in the Afternoon the overhead bar? I didn't face that (thankfully), I think that would have pulled the top mounted weapon of either of mine pretty quickly.

And I'm genuinely shocked that that wasn't full power, it definately picked it's feet up once it found traction! Looking forward to seeing it in action at some point.

And after the hasty rebuild Pullover weighed in a 136g iirc, I was a touch concerned, but after a few "wedge offs" I think I'll be adding ballast at the front in the future.

Team Kaizen

Yeah, Death in the afternoon was the overhead bar spinner which lost it's blade in one fight. I think that might work for Pullover, it is quite empty in the front of that wedge I seem to recall.

Jibril is going to RL Burgess Hill this weekend. I am hoping to get someone to record the fight, if only to show how "wheelspinny" it was :P

Yeah the front 1/3 of the body is hollow, it's supposed to be spinner fodder, the weight so far back mean I have lots of traction but can struggle to actually get under something... as we all saw... then of course it. wouldn't. grab.

If I remember, that bar span up very quickly, that said though; there was some very high quality robots turned up all round.

Be good to see that too, spinning and sliding all over the place at 100mph I think you'll have your hands full with it anyway!

Team Kaizen

I don't recall Pullover using Acetate at all, that might help. Amai is biased at the front to scrape along the floor quite sharply which I guess does. I don't think there was any difference really speaking between Stolen Concept or Death in the Afternoon in terms of spin up speed.

Jibril
    The battery enclosure is now in and the primer is on the metal bits of the robot. I'll wait for these to touch dry and then apply the all important flourescent pink on the robot :P

Once the painting is done, that effectively marks the end of Jibril 0.8, ready to go to RL Burgess Hill this Saturday and what a journey. Given this robot wasn't even started until the 14th of January or so, that is 72 days worth of building. Of course that doesn't mean it is finished, the big axe and ampflow motor are next on the list for EXR Portsmouth (as Jibril 1.0) but here we are. Now I just hope it comes back in a reasonable shape. :P

Pullover does indeed have an acetate lip at the front, I was 50:50 getting underneath others, but add that with a huuuuge delay on the weapon rev and it was about as effective as a halibut, but my vex29's turned up today so we might finally get there.

I think Stolen Concept must have purposefully span up slower due to the vibration issue he had then, either that or he went easy on me...

Oooh, are you using graffiti paint? There are some really wild colours available in that stuff, and in all fairness, getting this far in 72 days is good going, I've got more than that in a feather body... embarrassingly...

Team Kaizen

Oooh, are you using graffiti paint?
    Nah, keeping the theme of using fluorescent pink with this one. :P

Jibril
    It has been a hard slog with this one but finally, it is ready to go to RL Burgess Hill! Painted the metal parts (As mentioned above) in glorious fluorescent pink and even diagnosed the intermittent issue I have been having with the scythe. I was using a JR extender cable to link the RX up to the ESC with the positive line cut but it doesn't like going through an extender at all. Since the dual ESC doesn't seem to be using that much voltage, I plumbed in straight into the RX and it has gotten better. I think the connection at the ESC side is a bit loose as it decided to go a bit weird during a test fire after being transported but I can sort that out at the event.

Also had a better test drive of the robot. It is fast, much faster than Kaizen was and likely as fast as F7. I need to weigh Jibril but I am sure it is over the minimum level at this stage.

I wish the forum was working properly so I can upload images and such, but until then...

...Jibril 0.8

McMullet
    Looks fab! Congrats on getting it together in time, hope you have a successful weekend.

Register To Comment