Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Few questions about Motors, Esc’s, HDPE

Re: the HDPE. I've only ever had stuff from Direct Plastics, but the black HDPE definitely machines differently to the white natural HDPE. I guess that it's something to do with the dye in it. There is not real difference if you are working it with standard wood working tools and I've never notice any difference between the two in combat.

I don't know much about the different grades of HDPE, but some people use UHMWPE instead which is a little stronger but considerably more expensive. I would say that its far more important to make sure you attach the pieces of HDPE together really securely, than it is what grade they are made of.

Team Kaizen

Re: the HDPE. I've only ever had stuff from Direct Plastics, but the black HDPE definitely machines differently to the white natural HDPE.
    I've not experienced any difference in machining black and white HDPE on The Honey Badger.

The motor and ESC look OK to me but it is important to note that the motor can technically run at a higher voltage (8S) over the ESC (max 7S LiPo) so I wouldn't exceed that. There is also the thing to note about saws (and rotational weapons in general) in the rules as well:

12.3 Rotating Weapons
    The speed of any rotating weapons - e.g. circular saws, carbon or steel cutting discs - must not exceed the manufacturer's specification. The manufacturer's specification must be available for inspection.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

most people run 5060s on 6s as it is cheaper than spending money on higher end ESCs and is simpler then VESCs. Also, it has the added benefit of a lower KV and being physically larger and able to take more heat. this is ignoring the fact you need to Flash the Redbrick 200a (the ESC most people use for 50XX drive in FW) which isn't hard but I wouldn't like to do it as a first build. TBH I would work with Brushed motors for your first bots. 775s motors are powerful and on the correct ratio work great and maybe people still use them, IIRC Explosion uses 775 and Shrapnel the vert runs 550s. Do not overvolt 775 to 6s 22.2v they do not like and become all smoky
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 16th October 2018 at 19:47. Reason: Clarity

Team Kaizen

775s motors are powerful and on the correct ratio work great and maybe people still use them, IIRC Explosion uses 775 and Shrapnel the vert runs 550s (and voltage DO NOT OVERVOLT them to 6s 22.2v)
    Kaizen uses 4x 775 motors in it's drive system. From experience, I wouldn't recommend going past ~24v or so on them. I run them on 8S LiFe batteries (26.4v nominal) and, unsurprisingly, they'll cook under high load for long periods of time. I would agree that 550s are probably not going to work beyond 14-16v or so. I seem to recall a post on here at one stage about how much you can overvolt a motor, might be worth finding.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I don't think you'll have too many issues with your 18v motors on 6s. At a full charge of 4.2V/cell, at 6s battery should be 25.2V, that's only about a 40% over voltage. Lots of people run the 12V 550 motors on 4s which is 16.8V, also about a 40% overvolt.

there is also 18v 550s which run at 6s no problem. It just 18000 rpm 775s which dont like 24v. 9000 rpm 775s dont mind 24v but due to them being 24v motors

redbrick 200a. side note what is the weapon?

about the battery. I cannot see it being an issue if you got a charger Plus a lipo bag/metal box ( you shouldn't need it using a battery like that BUT EO may want it)

Register To Comment