Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deathly Hallows - FW - No-IP-Rocs

Quote Originally Posted by qbnut View Post
    I have made two axes bots with chains and one with spurs, and I'll say that there's no right or wrong solution - each has advantages and drawbacks. You do have to be more precise with spur gearing and as mentioned above, mounting them into HDPE doesn't really work, you would need more rigid bulkheads to use them.

On the other matter, go bushings all the way. Whilst bearings work they make maintenance hard, as you have to take the whole thing apart to change or fix. With bushings and a dead shaft it becomes an easier job to just slide things out if you need to fix.
    yes you are right BUT with scooties due to how they do not have face mounting hole ( legit only style cannot be found in UK and importing is not worth it) and with how toqurey they are i would suggest mod 2 min. And thinking about all the scooty axe (sams 4 your one Craig and my 2) they where all chain driven. Admittly I copied Sam set up but it works and works well

So much great feedback!!!

I have a MY1016 motor
    The shaft outside the casing is a little over an inch long, half inch reverse threaded, but also it's got a flat edge the length of the thread.
    I have measured repeatedly and it seems the shaft is 8.0mm I thought it would be 1/3" but appears not.
    2750 rpm 24V says 300W and also two 250W units much lighter that were on alligrator
    It's very torquey, the smaller motors on alligrator seemed easily powerful enough to let me ride on him if the chassis would take it - lol
    Internal chassis and structure will be steel or aluminium

For the arm length, I actually plan something unusual. Relatively short 200-250mm with the axe being inside the body, rotating round 270° to impact the target. Yes I know it sounds odd, I'm probably also more likely to have issues as unusual, but I'm not one to follow the herd. If it fails, I'll extend the length and have the sting outside the body.

Sting..... Oh yes so no-ip-rocs backwards is.... Scorpion
    And I have purchased a lovely stinger...

I should probably try and make a simple basic design first, but there is a lot of fun in designing and coming up with ideas

how heavy is axe head ?

Not that heavy. 133g

The arm will have more mass. This is the sting!

DSC_0385~2.JPG

Erm yeah that's not gonna much damage. To give you a idea my hammer head is roughly .750 kg Craigs round .4-.5 kg

But the arm mass is part of the calculation not just the mass on the end. Though certainly the force generated by the same mass towards the point of pivot is less than that towards the end of the arm. So if I had a 1kg or 2kg arm the hammer point is only that, the point through which all force is dissipated/exerted. Perhaps I need a really heavy arm, or am I wrong?

Yes the arm will add energy but adding to the head will add more for the weight cost. Also increasinf the arm length increases power

Think of a disc. The more mass to the edge (higher MoI) more of the energy is applied to the target. Same idea with axes just less time to build up energy. I got a calculator on my pc I show you later the difference.

I understand and agree the greater the mass and further from the pivot the greater the impact.

Found a nice animated gif here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...a_examples.gif

I want it to be able to fight, but I'm willing to compromise for a bit of style over performance.
    First I'll get the motor control sorted then investigate if my idea is viable. Really appreciate your input. If you have a link to a calculator id appreciate it. I know one was posted here before but I can't find it now.

FYI The reason I was looking at spur gears is the bad experience I had with chains on the drive for Alligrator. Always jumping off.
    Last edited by Deathly Hallows; 6th September 2018 at 18:27.

Hello world! I'm back. Been a busy time at work and it's not going together any easier but I'm persevering with the project. Why does it always seem that I'm trying to work on a project when it's below zero outside?

Acquired a welder at Lidl and seems to do the job
    Also bought the gears I need

I want to rig a test setup for a weapon test. Get a handle on how I'll operate it and see what kind of power it has.
    I can attach extra mass near the end of I think it's needed.

Register To Comment