Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed

How small is smallish? Ants are very good for a starter, if a bit fiddly, and fairly inexpensive. I've recently started a Beetle, and that is similarly inexpensive but easier for bigger hands to work on.

There are pros and cons to each size, but Ants are much more popular, with more regular events and need less gear carting from event to event (well it's all smaller).

Having raced RC, you likely know more about radio gear than me and have your preferences already, and aside from your TX/RX, a basic machine is very simple; Speed Controller(s) and Motors.

If you want to look into an Ant there is an extremely good post http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...e-an-antweight here.

After those basics, there is such huge variation on design and weights and things that it would be better to go into detail later.

Retro

Hey, not a problem! I started in Ants too, currently working my way up through the weight classes.

Most Ant events will follow the Robotwars101.org AWS ruleset (found here: http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1905) and a lot of the Ant guys hang out around there too. I only mention this because I built to the FRA rules and could've saved a good chunk of effort using the AWS rules...

Triceratop
    Hi Guys,
    Just thought I would put my two pennith in.... I'm also fairly new to the robot world, built my first one (HW) last year for Robot Wars ... Anyway, I then decided to build a FW, but to be honest had I known in the first place what I know now (now there's an old saying...) I would have gone for the beetleweight - which I have just completed. I feel it's a great starting point, plenty of different materials, motors etc out there and plenty of scope for weapon and protection @ 1.5kg. Also found that cost wise, not mega expensive, infact keep it simple and the final outlay could be less than £50 for the robot, shop around for secondhand and might even get radio gear thrown in too. Finally, I have found that from FW down to Ant weight - transportation to events is easy, and work space required is minimal.
    Hope this helps and please remember this is only my opinion. Good luck.

Team Kaizen

Welcome to the forum!

As noted, if you have experience with model RC cars, the Beetleweight category is probably a good place to start. The speed controllers and such from RC cars will go in BWs no issue. I did try running a FW on those types of model speed controllers but it often overstretched them to the point of failure. Most, if not all events are fights of various descriptions. The Antweight class has been known to do non competitive things like football and so on but in my experience, I've never seen it happen in the heavier classes.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Well I would recommend reading through the build diaries on here to see how folks design and build their robots. Personally, I break out a pencil and paper and get scribbling before committing to anything. I know it is more fashionable to use CAD and if I had some complex components, I would possibly go down that route and then send that component off to be cut professionally.

As far as building a creation, if you have a good design then it becomes easier to build it. Again, the build diaries are often a wealth of information as to what techniques/materials work in this particular field.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment