Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed

Cheers people I have started on some design work helps that I can use my works 3d cad.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Karen gedge
    Hiya, I am new to this too and I am looking to build a basic featherweight bot. I have always been a big fan of bots and I thought why not have a go myself. Is there a group in theast of england or regular meetings over here at all. Many thanks in advance......Kaz

Team Kaizen

Status
    Name
    Michael
    Robots
    AW: Osu, Ikari, Ramu / BW: Shu!, Mita / FW: The Honey Badger / MW: Kaizen, ???
    Hey there, welcome to the forum!

I am on the wrong side of the country to be able to answer this with regards to socials but one of the easiest way to get started is to go to a live show to get a feel of the events and see some fighting robots in action. You don't note where in the east you are but there are a few events coming up. There is Extreme Robots in Maidstone (27th - 28th October) and Extreme Robots Gloucester (10-11th November). A little short notice but there is also Robots Live! in Stevenage (this weekend).
    Team Kaizen

AW: Osu, Ikari, Ramu
    BW: Shu! (Build Thread)
    FW: The Honey Badger (Build Thread)
    MW: Kaizen (Build Thread)

Hi Karen, where about's in the East? I'm in Lincolnshire, happy to help where I can.
    There is a venue in Leeds which has started once a month.
    I would also seriously consider a Bw robot (see my comments earlier to Daniel in this thread.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Triceratop; 18th September 2018 at 10:41.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Karen gedge
    Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I am on the norfolk/suffolk border. I have beeen to several official events (colchester last weekend). I have been tinkering aound in the garage and l aready have 2 cordless drills etc so I thought why not have a go. I would be interested to go to leeds to see and learn more. I doubt i could get to the end of september one as I have to work..

Kaz

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Ian Botwright
    Robots
    Crackers n Smash HW, Ysabel BW, Binky FW, Mattock FW
    Hi Kaz,
    The Leeds events are run by Robodojo, check them out on Facebook @robodojouk. The next event 21st October is an antweight competition. In November on the 25th there's a feather weight event. suggest you come along even if your robot isn't finished as there will be lots of experienced roboteers there who can give you pointers.

Hi Ian,
    Is the meeting just Ant Weights or will there be a Beetle Weight competition also?
    Regards Cliff

Team Kaizen

Status
    Name
    Michael
    Robots
    AW: Osu, Ikari, Ramu / BW: Shu!, Mita / FW: The Honey Badger / MW: Kaizen, ???
    I have been tinkering aound in the garage and l aready have 2 cordless drills etc so I thought why not have a go.
    I'd also recommend taking a look at the build diaries as they contain a wealth of information about what works and what doesn't work with regards to electronics/batteries/materials. My first attempt of The Honey Badger used a couple of cordless drill motors, though I do recommend making or finding some motor mounts to seat them into.

Extreme Robots also did a Youtube video about how to build a basic featherweight for less than £200 at one stage, that shows the basics of how a featherweight is constructed.
    Team Kaizen

AW: Osu, Ikari, Ramu
    BW: Shu! (Build Thread)
    FW: The Honey Badger (Build Thread)
    MW: Kaizen (Build Thread)

Status
    Name
    Robert Shalders
    Robots
    Flatfish (FW)
    Also recommended for new starters is either get a relative/friend involved or find a hacker space that's local to you. I went to the Milton Keynes one and that really helped me on my first build.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Robots
    The Unnamed, Bourbon, Deadlock
    There's a few hackerspaces around you. I'm at Cambridge Makespace and I build combat robots, got 2 feathers, 1 and a bit beetles and a mock up of a heavyweight. Hitchin Hackspace has the heavyweight and has a few roboteers. If you want you can PM me and I can tell you your closest hackspace.

Register To Comment