Register To Comment

Thread: Featherweight arena

It varies massively depending on what grade you want to make it, mainly the cost in polycarb. No idea how much the Robo Challenge arena cost but definitely a five figure sum I'd imagine. Size-wise it's 4.8m x 3.6m; the smallest arena featherweights play in at the moment but that's considering that the other events host feather fights in their HW arenas.

I made one for our Scot-Bots venture a few years ago, also 4.8m x 3.6m max but modular so we could bolt and unbolt walls to get different size configurations. Nothing fancy, just the walls and some wooden loft flooring boards for the floor. There was also some warping when welding the walls so it's a bit skewy in places, but it does what it was designed for. Can't remember the cost, but the polycarb was free, reclaimed from a bus stop refurbishment company, the steel was quite cheap from a local stockist and the flooring was from B&Q

P1000557.jpg P1000953.jpg

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Can't remember the cost, but the polycarb was free, reclaimed from a bus stop refurbishment company,
    I'd love to know how you make these sorts of deals. Currently Team Death are scavenging from a bus graveyard outside of Barnsley for small bits of polycarb, but they don't use anything big enough to be too useful. What'd be the best way of approaching a company to try making a deal for their spare, scrap or reject polycarb?

I know it's a long shot, but I heard a while ago that many EOs can sell off used arena polycarb if you don't mind it being a bit scratched. Obviously don't go constantly bugging them for discounted stuff, but it won't do any harm in asking.

I Reckon that the key to any sort of deal especially if you want a freebee
    is to approach it like you don't really need it but maybe offer an incentive
    at the same time for example......
    "What do you do with a all the used bus shelter polycarb you replace?"
    example answer" we send it to landfill which is expensive"..
    You might say " we will take it off your hands and save you tipping costs
    and offer you a free advertising spot on our Robot Arena
    Typical answers might be........OFF
    or Yes please.

At this moment im finishing the first stage of my FW arena with 3x3m (and expand to 4.5x4.5m after the first event).

37332779_1754742021269199_4406244645894356992_n.jpg37329503_1754740987935969_7598424813144637440_n.jpg

Hi Adam, it was a bit of luck to be honest. Clive Brown from Team Toon worked at a company that was located next to the bus stop refurb shop and had obtained some polycarb from them previously. When I mentioned that I was looking for some, he said he could get it from them for me. Think they were only too happy for someone to take it off their hands.

As you can imagine, the polycarb was used (quite scratched, slight UV degradation) but as our arena was short, visibility wasn't an issue. The bus stops get refitted with new polycarb so the old is just waste. As Colin said, best to make it seem like you're doing them a favour by taking it off their hands. Not sure where such companies are located in your area though, but Google will.

Redirect Left
    Cheers for the insight. I'll try to adventure around, if i can find a cheap source of polycarb, used or not, it'd be a great help to projects. Scratched isn't an issue either, as it'll end up being scratched anyway!

Register To Comment