Register To Comment

Thread: FW electric crusher build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello everybody, I am planing to build a new feather weight crusher for live events later this year. To start with I have began designing the crushing mechanism and will build the rest of the robot around it. Currently a 24V Linak 6000N linear actuator is being used to power the weapon.

Spec of the actuator:
    IMG_20180528_145000.jpg

Here are the CAD drawings of the mechanism:

claw design side.pngclaw front.pngclaw top.png

The claw will be 10mm thick steel, and the mounts 20mm thick HDPE.

For the setup and holes used in those examples these are the performance calculations:

bite force spread sheet.png

Effectively the jaws open 225mm high and 60mm low, with close to 4000N of tangential bite force across the whole movement. The vertical bite force is lower at start of the cycle but ends up at 4000N at the end of the cycle, this is not so much of an issue as this force will only be used after the tangential force has pieced the armor.

Anybody with more battle experience be able to tell me if i have enough force and bite width to be effective with this set up?

To continue the design I plan to use a low tornado like body in line with the weapon mounts 130mm high and four wheel drive drill motors. I would ideally like it to be capable of self righting but i'm struggling to think of a way that wouldn't involve massive wheels or a heavy powered solution.

I though about roll bars but i'm worried the heavy actuator would give it a poor center of gravity for self righting as its mounted high in the robot.
    Last edited by Draper; 28th May 2018 at 14:17.

Register To Comment