I've had some info through from Ian.

Tech check is from 8.30
    Competitions start from 10.00

If you pm Ian your email he'll send you the info pack

Rob

RobK
    Are you there now?

Ring the workshop on 01977 689529 if you're stuck

I was interested to hear any follow up comments about this event but it seems
    strangely quiet, was it a success?, this is important as we do need a venue up
    north.
    I was unavailable and was slightly taken back by the idea of a entry fee-yes
    only £10 but that seemed a phaff through pay pal.
    It's quite costly to build a Robot and attend an event with all the traveling
    and hotel costs so it's probably best to rollout the red carpet for roboteers
    and charge a viewing fee if possible or advertising fee.

RobK
    Hi,
    I thought it was a success. They did provide some food. I didn't take a robot but donated £10 as I seemed to eat most of the food!!

If £10 is what it costs to create a safe arena for Featherweight fights and heavyweight testing then I think it will be money well spent.

It will help me build/ test robots and I think it will save me money in the long run.

That's my theory on it. í ½í¸€

The entry fees all go towards building and maintaining a safe arena/venues for the events to take place, without them the events likely wouldn’t be able to continue - none of the above is cheap

Other events do have the paying audience (Robots Live/Extreme Robots) but Robodojo is intended more to be a club for the members to meet up and battle robots rather than be a ‘show’ put on for an audience - a lot of US events use this model and it works out well for them, and means that the events are sustainable long term. Even then, the entry fees really are good pricing wise. - it’s not much extra to tack onto your robot budget and the cheapness of hotels/airbnbs in the area more than makes up for it. I personally have zero qualms with it and I’m more than happy to pay per event if it means we have somewhere (much closer to home too) to go play more regularly!

Having been to the inaugural event the other weekend I can definitely say with zero doubt it’s well worth it per event, and like I say it means we have somewhere up north for antweights, beetleweights and featherweights when most events take place relatively far south for all three classes.

Register To Comment