Register To Comment
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

Team Kaizen

top 10mm SHOULD be fine (as there is new gen nasty axes coming)
    I would normally agree but after Manchester, I've revised my opinion. 10mm is OK when paired with something else, such as a hardox wedge laying over the top of it. Then again, no axe got through the lid of The Honey Badger 2, it had to be ripped off. I suspect that is more down to the way the panel was anchored to the chassis though rather than the material itself.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    I would normally agree but after Manchester, I've revised my opinion. 10mm is OK when paired with something else, such as a hardox wedge laying over the top of it. Then again, no axe got through the lid of The Honey Badger 2, it had to be ripped off. I suspect that is more down to the way the panel was anchored to the chassis though rather than the material itself.

Hence the Should XD, for armour that will see a spinner get something a bit thicker, but saying that i am currently helping AL_ find a place to make a Ti ram for pressure point so it can be armoured up. that can go through 10mm like butter

Team Kaizen

The Honey Badger 2 used 3 blocks of wood to attach the panels to. It is positively archaic :P I would bolt straight through if I wanted to secure it properly or use threaded inserts.

Hence the Should XD, for armour that will see a spinner get something a bit thicker, but saying that i am currently helping AL_ find a place to make a Ti ram for pressure point so it can be armoured up. that can go through 10mm like butter
    Ooooohhhhhh.... *goes and orders some Hardox*
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 8th May 2018 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamST180 View Post
    Yeah thats a good point, how is the best way to attach HDPE panels together? Would have assumed just screws? Maybe angle brackets/blocks?
    You can screw HDPE together, however it does not hold the thread very long, the thread deteriorates each time you take it apart/put it back together and its generally not the strongest joint. Threaded inserts or barrel bolts will give you a much stronger joint and both can be both cheaply on ebay or the like. Lots of build diaries on here showing those types of fixings. Angle brackets or blocks with the HDPE bolted to or through them is another option. Easy to do and if done with some nice beefy pieces of metal can also give a good strong joint, at the expense of a bit of added weight.

Team Kaizen

Angle brackets or blocks with the HDPE bolted to or through them is another option. Easy to do and if done with some nice beefy pieces of metal can also give a good strong joint, at the expense of a bit of added weight.
    Verily, this is how I mounted the axe mechanism to The Honey Badger 2. Some big ol' M6 bolts through the panel though I should have used Spring Washers I think.

Team Kaizen

Can you provide some context for this (perhaps a quote with this phrase in)? A dual RC switch, when I search for what that was, came back as being either as a literal switch controlled by the TX or as a ESC.

Register To Comment