Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Northern England & Scotland event startup

Team Kaizen

Wouldn't beating a beetle be insanely difficult? I know that's the point? But holy smokes...
    Well they did beat Mr Cats Mouse House so anything is possible Wouldn't like to enter 10 AWs as a cluster BW though
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Redirect Left
    To be fair, I suspect Robot Wars (new and old) used manually controlled hazards and triggers - with pretty front ends, eg; the dial of doom
    All hazards and even the pit release triggered at spontaneous times, there where times when a heavyweight tapping on the pit release tyre didn't hit it hard enough to trigger, and then later on the mini bot of Nuts managed to sink Behemoth after triggering it flawlessly and releasing the pit. The flipper and spikes also didn't have regular patterns to trigger them, and seemed to randomly decide when to activate - so i hypothesize these too are manually triggered, and don't detect something like weight above them.

RE: automatic triggering for things
    It's probably not worth going to the effort of adding lots of little switches and stuff to automatically trigger things, if you have an unbiased person able to trigger them manually (and preferably be less biased than whatever was triggering Robot Wars' stuff)

RE: concern of breaking buttons;
    If the automatic triggering was done however, you can get very resilient buttons - think of all the abuse arcade machines receive, yet can last decades. If you have a nice frontage to the button, that'll take the impact of everything and not the technology hidden behind it all - this also contributes to arcade machines longevity, the pretty plastic button frontage taking the hits, not the little tech behind it. I've done a few arcade repair contracts, when those machines fail, it's nearly always old batteries on the motherboard rupturing, or a kid spilt something on the top and the water resistant seal has been broken through old age. Very rarely broken buttons.

RE: house robots - seems a neat idea. Although in practise adds more cost, especially for bettleweight and upwards sizes. May be cheaper to purchase a retiring bot and repurpose it for the cause.

this is something that'll need to start out super small, and grow to meet expectations and demand later on, rather than splashing out on the first one, i think?
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 26th April 2018 at 11:27.

If your going to treat this concept as a hobby or if your budget is limited, it's
    probablty best to start small.
    I remember doing my first live event at jonnos with The Wall in about 2003/4
    and his arena was very small, about 20 ft square I think.
    If you are going to run it as a business and having your hobby as your business
    can be very gratifying, you might want to invest a little bit more money at the start
    and go modular so you can build on what youve got.

I had one idea-portable Market stalls-they are a ready made frame work and you could
    start with one as your first arena-with polycarb sides and then as you expand you could
    just add more side by side,I have experience with Market stalls and they would be ok
    up to feather weights in my opinion-of course your main strenghth would be how you
    brace it with polycarb or other methods
    Last edited by team death; 26th April 2018 at 12:31.

Redirect Left
    I'm not sure how strong the metal in portable market stalls and similar are.

Here is a random entry from eBay; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162097443058
    It'd naturally need holes adding to connect the polycarb up to, but i suspect they're hollow thin tubes of metal, i'm not sure how they'd stand up to anything serious. I suspect the metal is similar to that used in metal sweepers or clothing line props - which would make sense, as out in the field it's only holding up the bit of flimsy rain defending tarpaulin.#
    Something like that would certainly make a decent start point for an arena, if the metal proves strong enough to hang up there.
    Similarly, i'm thinking of trying to acquire some scrap scaffolding, and see if they can be made into good frames for beetleweight and higher arenas. Shouldn't be too expensive for just a few pieces to muck about with and try a few things - even if it doesn't work for holding together polycarb walls. I'll definitely use them for featherweight and beetleweight arenas, as they'll make a decent internal wall between arena and polycarb, to make sure the robots can't come into direct contact except in a flip scenario.

Adam I saw this great example of a show tent/gazebo on e bay 6 metres x 3
    about twice the size of the one I demonstrated and it all fit into a slightly larger
    bag-they do deliver too
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Garde....c100290.m3507

Redirect Left
    I've added that to my watch list for further down the line. I'm going to put together a list of stuff I definitely want to get into the first event, and work out the cost of that, before I start adding in things i'd merely like to see there, so I know what the budget is going to have to look like - then how much extra for the little niceities that can really make it something.

I live near to a junkyard, so I might have a pop by and fish out some varying metals, and see what works better for varying purposes. The companies i had been mailing regarding building arenas stopped responding, so I'll see the realistic possibility of building one from scratch for beetleweights / featherweights, before getting back to them - as I find it very frustrating when companies you're trying to legitimately seek services from end up just not responding.

I have a meeting with someone later in the week who is also interested in starting events in the area, so whilst at the moment i'm not sure exactly what will come of that, hopefully that will push everything closer to fruition.
    As always, I'd welcome any further input, or even a message from people also interesting in helping out to any degree.

Redirect Left
    So what I can say right now is, there are definitely things being planned around the Yorkshire area for within the next 4-6 month. Regardless of my involvement or not in them - so there is always that to look forward to. I believe the upcoming events will be detailed by the people behind them in the not too distant future.

Hopefully I'll also be helping out with them, and if not. I may also still do my own events. Funding and interest permitting.

Register To Comment